DIY Walk In Cooler Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the door into the room going to be on the inside or outside of the house?

And what is that possible top tier post for anyway? ;)

I was originally planning on having the door in the garage and going through the wall into the cooler. But since then, I've decided against that route as that would mean I would have to build in a header as the garage wall is load bearing. I think we could do it, but it will be a pain to do so. It'll be much easier to put the door outside IMO.

The mini top tier is actually not brewing related per se, but it it will be something really fracking cool. I'll post up pics when I'm done with that, which will be fairly soon.

Some progress today. A bit of an issue though as I didn't know OSB can shrink. We had 3 sheets of 23/32" tongue and groove OSB underpainted with elastomeric white paint (2 coats) and pre-cut to size. On Sunday night, they fit the spot they were supposed to exactly. Somehow they shrank an inch in overall diameter between the 3 pieces since then. It did very lightly rain Monday overnight and everything was covered with condensate early in the morning (very rare to see this here). I'm thinking the humidity got high enough to swell the OSB and then when it dried all the way out (like it normally is here), the panels shrunk somewhat. A quick google search shows this as a possibility and it is not uncommon for OSB to swell and shrink. This screwed up my tongue and groove spacing so we will glue and screw down a second layer to firm it up and eliminate any potential issues. This floor will be loaded with a lot of beer so it needs to be dimensionally stable. We did manage to get some polyurethane glue in the tongue and groove so it should make for a decent base layer at least.

Top vapor barrier layer going on with some additional foam to fill/firm it up a bit:

KQyH6kM.jpg

OSB flooring in place:

Dp59SLU.jpg

New hose reel for Bimmerphiles:

V7d3XeU.jpg

KNUF3qk.jpg

Rotating handle through valve stem bore with knuckle saving extension:

qzMBaNk.jpg

A little more progress today after work. Second flooring layer is glued and nailed down with offset seams:

rYdRqe6.jpg

Should shore it up nice and firm. Now off to my BJCP class.

And one more view of the new hose reel:

1jEMnvL.jpg

It's such a badass hose reel.

Ghettogyle Greg and I are building the wall that abuts the garage wall today. We had to precut the outermost two pieces of foam since the nailers will prevent us from filling the space once the radiant panels are in place.

nYmJwWW.jpg

Nailer that is cockblocking:

iedVqPd.jpg

Solar Steve is driving down today from Boulder with a couple cases of Avery and Upslope cans. We may not get as much done as I am hoping. I will post pics as they develop.

Today was mostly a working on the shed day as we roofed it, hung the door and did a bunch of trim work.

A5rKvZL.jpg

cxK9v3Z.jpg

Solar Steve brought over some fun beers from Boulder last night:

TPTf1FO.jpg

The amazing thing is he carried that all in his motorcycle saddlebags. But before we drink more (still feeling it from last night a bit), we will work on the cooler a bit more.

Ghettogyle Greg making the wall penetration for the electrical lines:

Yti07DV.jpg

If you're not too far along, and/or for future reference, you can buy Lowes 10% off "movers" coupons on eBay for around $5 each. Home Depot doesn't honor the full value anymore, but if you buy the right ones they're still usable at Lowes.

Radiant barrier going down:

ZwldvMS.jpg

We chose not to have radiant barrier on the wall against the garage as this would add cost and take away from the internal volume of the finished cooler. The garage should keep that face from seeing IR heating anyway. All the other walls and ceiling will have radiant barrier with a 1" airgap.

Capping the radiant barrier with OSB on top of furring strips for air gap:

lTLbtZT.jpg

Northern most wall is up:

MgKa6EQ.jpg

That was one heavy mofo.

Done for today...

Actually we decided to put those panels on the inside. We will lose some volume but this way we don't vent the air gap into the insulation.

In theory, this is the better way to go. Insulating the hell out of the interior should keep the cold air in and the radiant barrier with venting reduces the radiant heating from the outside.

On to the progress today, which has been slow. Too many Avery beers again last night. Damn that Solar Steve and his stash of good beer.

Vapor barrier on AC side wall:

H4VoqV3.jpg

Yet another HD run:

CRKqfAq.jpg

On to more framing, more pics to follow.

Last set of pics for the weekend as we are headed out to camp/disc golf.

Lagging the top of the wall side wall to the studs in the house wall:

cbnVMtr.jpg

Radiant barrier with furring strips for air gap on AC side wall:

KtH3cXv.jpg

Same wall sheathed:

TzQs7xD.jpg

Door framing going up:

4Dnyt7U.jpg

Roof framing going up:

ejLAE4x.jpg

Next up, hurricane clips and corners but not til later. I need a freaking vacation.

OK so I had a bit of a vacation camping and drinking great beer to finish off the holiday weekend. I'll be getting back to business here shortly. I should have a few more pics to post during the course of this week while I do a few things here and there after work.

Solar Steve was a framer in a past life so his being here last weekend was a huge help. He also had some great input. But Ghettogyle Greg is still the man and I could not have gotten this far without him.

If I were doing this completely by myself, I would be way further behind where I am now. But we still have a ways to go.

Got home a bit later than usual today, but I managed to get all the hurricane clips screwed in. I still need to do the corners but I ran out of light more or less.

2gyuKwm.jpg

Nothing really to report today other than a short supply run to Home Depot on the way home from work, followed by a bacon cheeseburger and a couple DIPA's for happy hour with a couple of my bros. No actual work got done but that's OK. I will get back on it tomorrow after work.

This looks really good.. much more thought out than the one I built a few years back (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-latest-project-walk-cooler-11440/). Hit me up if you have any questions, but it looks like you have it pretty well thought through. The only thing I will warn you about is the coils in the A/C icing up.. I had to combat this by wiring up several small fans that were always on to keep the ice from collecting - it is detailed in my thread..

Gabe

Thanks Gabe, I will hit you up if I run into any snags.

It is much drier here than in Georgia, so humidity is far less of a problem. But I will keep the fan idea in mind. I'll know where to go for advice once I get to that point. I appreciate the offer of support.

Back at it today.

800 lbs Fastwall scratch and brown coat:

klmOG6O.jpg

Got all the hurricane corner clips installed:

1b2pFRu.jpg

I ran out of the good screws so I just used some drywall screws to finish up the job. Ideally I need to swap those out for coated screws but I can do that later as I need to spend time on this now instead of going to the store for the thousandth time.

Now I'm going through all the framing and sealing up the air gaps. I wanted to glue the whole frame together while the frame was going up but Solar Steve was against this. I think timing was more an issue last weekend so I'll back fill. This should be sufficient enough to eliminate the bulk of any airflow potential but if you plan to do this, I would glue while you are framing for a more predictable seal.

mrlySwF.jpg

Populating the walls with 2" XPS 150:

QeOslOD.jpg

Thermal barrier skin around door going up:

jcGIBCw.jpg

Air gap via furring strips then OSB capped:

Du7THOE.jpg

Close up of the air gap above the door space:

jLoHy3S.jpg

I'm beat as it's freaking hot as hell today. I'm breaking for a large HD run to load up for tomorrow.

A couple more shots for today.

A whole lotta caulk:

ZAK9YFv.jpg

A stack of 1" EPS for some extra fill:

0s3KVnJ.jpg

Same R value as the 3/4" pink XPS but at less than 1/2 the cost. Since it'll be between 2 vapor barriers, I figure I can get away with this material for where I plan to use it. You'll see it as it goes in. Typically EPS cannot handle moisture as well as XPS pink board so use EPS wisely if you choose to use it.

Didn't get to the scratch coat today but I plan to be doing that as well as continuing to populate the XPS/EPS foams. I'm off to a shower and some sleep, but not before a beer or three...

Door side OSB wall cap is on:

Rwn1QeE.jpg

Almost done populating the wall space with 2" XPS 150:

FOCphv4.jpg

I had to come inside for a bit and have a beer as it's really hot out and there is not a cloud in the sky. I managed to get most of the cooler seams glued/hopefully sealed up but I just found I missed a spot. I'll get back to that in a bit. I slammed my thumb with a hammer so I'm running a bit slow right now. The air compressor let go last night after 15 years but I think we can fix it as it sounds like the startup cap is bad. So today was all manual hammering/stapling without the air compressor. No big deal really.

Regardless of said setbacks, both the shed and the cooler are tar papered and netted/lathed for stucco:

nUnwEsq.jpg

BdmsNy3.jpg

Last pics of the day as I'm calling it here.

Z2QjLp0.jpg

i1QrlMu.jpg

Foaming up the gaps and cracks. I'll get cutting and scraping on the dried mess tomorrow then get to the EPS. Uncured spray foam is nasty ass schit.

Well today wasn't too productive as some friends brought over some high gravity beers to sample out of the blue. I did manage to cut some of the dried foam out, but not all that much. I'll get back to some more cutting after work tomorrow, but Tuesday and Wednesday look busy so maybe I can make some progress towards the end of the week and into next weekend.

No progress last night as it was really windy and I didn't feel like being out in the blowing dust. Tonight is no good either as I have a friend in from out of town and I will need to entertain her. Looks like Wednesday will be the next opportunity to cut foam, which is tedious but necessary work.

Came home today a little early to cut foam and I find this:

BmXYQKl.jpg

wficRth.jpg

Looks like it hailed a bit. I swept out the standing water on the floor and the hail that remained. Time to cut foam. Looks like I'm flying mostly solo for the rest of this project as Ghettogyle Greg's SWMBO is putting the kibosh on his helping me as he hasn't been around. No biggie but this will slow me down a fair amount.

Looks like I'm flying mostly solo for the rest of this project as Ghettogyle Greg's SWMBO is putting the kibosh on his helping me as he hasn't been around. No biggie but this will slow me down a fair amount.

That stinks man. Perhaps just haul him over for some weekend time. I'm sure you'll get it done though. You've made awesome progress so far. And what's more worth it than doing it for the beer?!?

This will get done, hell or high water. And we have not seen the last of the Ghettogyle. The man lives with 3 females. I assure you he will be back. Perhaps not as much as before, but he will be back.

A couple hours worth of cutting/scraping:

ExQcbxX.jpg

Great Stuff my ass. I suggest if you do this project, or something similar, to go as easy on the spray foam as possible. Seal your seams with PL Premium, which is a polyurethane adhesive, and mist them with water and they will puff up just enough, without the mess of having to cut out the excess spray foam.

I now have one whole wall complete. I should have the rest done by Friday, then Saturday can be spent cutting and installing the EPS layer.

Back