DIY Stainless Steel Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giving this bad boy a BUMP!

I'd posted something in the beginner's forum about fermenting in the boil kettle, and a poster pointed me here. AWESOME THREAD! JUST what I had in mind.

QUESTION: has anyone tried just weighing down the lid with something heavy, rather than bothering with all the clamps? Especially since it seems like some folks have been doing it with no silicone seal OR clamps... I was thinking about building one up with the silicone seal, then just using a brick or two (maybe wrap them in tape or plastic to keep them from scratching the lid) on top of the lid? There should still be plenty of room for the airlock/blowoff.

Again, thanks for the epic thread!

Ike

I first tried just using a bag full of lead shot to hold the lid down. The problem is that the lids aren't that rigid, nor are they machined accurately. So there were still small gaps where it didn't seal well. I found the clamps worked better.

I'm considering making a stainless pot fermenter with a 20qt Bayou Classic Stainless Pot. The diameter of the pot is listed at 11". I realize I won't know the exact measurement until it arrives, but I'm considering buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPJZS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPMTQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're basically the gasket used in a Pressure Cooker. Instead of using silicone tubing like the OP, I'd use this. If the gasket was sized slightly smaller than the diameter of the rim, it could be stretched over the edge for a nice clean install. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Brewzologist -- how did you attach the lid to the pot? Did you use any mechanical fasteners besides the binder clips? I'm not understanding how you got it to be a pressure vessel

Just bought two 20qt Bayou Stainless Pots for my 2.5gal batches. I've never heard of Jet.com but they had it cheap. See here:

https://jet.com/product/20-qt-Brew-Kettle-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/3e716f5e8b7543bda910918585911bb4

I used a coupon code for an additional $15 off and free shipping & free returns. Two pots for $68.96. I'm going to use these and try the pressure cooker gaskets I linked to above along with the ball valves that SSBrewTech uses in their Brew Buckets. Should be a pretty sweet set of fermenters when it's all said and done.

I'll post back when they are completed.

I wonder if you just silicon the lid and make the gasket right on the lid, would that work? Food grade silicon is fairly inexpensive

For those considering purchases, I've never heard of Boscov's either, but this link was posted a bit up-thread quite a while ago, and is still a good link. The same pot as mentioned a couple posts ago, but only $12 each?

http://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/stainless-steel-stockpot-20-quart/12585.htm

ETA: They're a bit proud of shipping at $9.95. BUT, that's apparently a flat rate. I went to the checkout page and the rate remained the same whether I'd "ordered" one or three. SO, if you're considering multiple pots, this may be the way to go.

Another ETA: Saw this posted way down in the description: "When ordering multiples of this item, additional shipping fees will be charged. Before levying such charge, we will contact you with the proposed amount of the charge. If you do not want to accept the surcharge, we will cancel your order without any penalty to you." Weird. No changes happened on the checkout page, but it seems they keep an ace up their sleeve.

Ike

I wonder if stretching a tight rubber bungee cord between the handles or using some type of clamp to press down the center between the handles would be air tight enough for fermenting.

What was the coupon code or where'd you get it?

I think it was SAVE15NOW or maybe 15OFFNOW. It popped up when I first went to the site. I would imagine a Google search would show something.

BTW I received a tracking number today from UPS so that's cool. I've been looking into the company again and it's like a Costco membership but you get a free 3 month trial with NO auto enroll. Kind of weird. I'm not signing up for anything so I guess if I save $25 and need to send an email or make a call to cancel something it'll be worth it...hopefully. :)

I wonder if you just silicon the lid and make the gasket right on the lid, would that work? Food grade silicon is fairly inexpensive

I watched a video on YouTube about making your own custom size gaskets. I thought about what you were taking about too. My main concern is the lack of a smooth surface on the sides of the gasket for sanitation. The issue with plastic buckets is they scratch easily allowing places for bacteria to hide. That would be my concern with silicone just squirted on the rim and left to dry.

For those considering purchases, I've never heard of Boscov's either, but this link was posted a bit up-thread quite a while ago, and is still a good link. The same pot as mentioned a couple posts ago, but only $12 each?

ETA: They're a bit proud of shipping at $9.95. BUT, that's apparently a flat rate. I went to the checkout page and the rate remained the same whether I'd "ordered" one or three. SO, if you're considering multiple pots, this may be the way to go.

Another ETA: Saw this posted way down in the description: "When ordering multiples of this item, additional shipping fees will be charged. Before levying such charge, we will contact you with the proposed amount of the charge. If you do not want to accept the surcharge, we will cancel your order without any penalty to you." Weird. No changes happened on the checkout page, but it seems they keep an ace up their sleeve.

Ike

FWIW These are not the same pots. I ordered Bayou brand. They are ~$50 everywhere I've looked which is why I was excited to find them on Jet.com with the price and discount coupon.

The ones you linked would be fine. I wanted to find a pot with welded vs. riveted handles.

@Brewzologist -- how did you attach the lid to the pot? Did you use any mechanical fasteners besides the binder clips? I'm not understanding how you got it to be a pressure vessel

Nope, just the binder clips. The problem with most inexpensive stainless pots is the machining accuracy of the lids and pots are not uniform. So, you need even pressure all the way around the lid to get a good seal. The binder clips are cheap and easy, and for me I need nothing more elaborate.

The ability to get a good seal depends on your pot. The reason I chose the Bayou's is because they were better than most at a decent price point. I did a lot of measuring with calipers and selected the thickness of the silicone I used based on the gap between the lid and the top/sides of the pot. Perhaps I was just lucky to get a seal. The only area I have a leak at times is between the airlock stopper and the lid, and I have a solution for that but just haven't taken the time to do it.

Ike

Those pots are nowhere near the quality of the Bayou pot and they use aluminum rivets that will eventually corrode. You can buy those pots at the same price without shipping at Big Lots or any other Chinamart a tier above the dollar store.

Received my Bayou pots in the mail yesterday from Jet.com. They look great!

BTW Jet.com IS a membership based site BUT the free trial is just that FREE with no strings attached. After the free trial your membership expires and you DO NOT have to call/email/write/etc. to let them know you want to cancel. It's automatically cancelled. If in the future you want to buy from them, then you have to pay.

I know it's been a while, but I saved up enough money, purchased two ball valves from SsBrewTech and made my fermenters. I also purchased pressure cooker gaskets for use as the pot liners instead of using the silicone tubing. I made a video of the project and posted it to my YouTube Channel. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/YDn5lqaRFho

Check out my other videos & subscribe if you're interested.

I'm considering making a stainless pot fermenter with a 20qt Bayou Classic Stainless Pot. The diameter of the pot is listed at 11". I realize I won't know the exact measurement until it arrives, but I'm considering buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPJZS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPMTQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're basically the gasket used in a Pressure Cooker. Instead of using silicone tubing like the OP, I'd use this. If the gasket was sized slightly smaller than the diameter of the rim, it could be stretched over the edge for a nice clean install. Thoughts?

You might want to look at the replacement gasket for the Chapman 7 gallon fermenter.

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this as a guide for a fermenter. I added a copper coil inside that i connected to an old mashtun watercooler with a 12v pump on a temp controller. I add ice and some water to the cooler and so far it has kept it regulated to within a degree of set temp. The cooler keeps ice for about 3 days. It cooled originally from 115 down to 60 in about 3-4 minutes. I'll post some pics when I get them loaded.

I used this as a guide for a fermenter. I added a copper coil inside that i connected to an old mashtun watercooler with a 12v pump on a temp controller. I add ice and some water to the cooler and so far it has kept it regulated to within a degree of set temp. The cooler keeps ice for about 3 days. It cooled originally from 115 down to 60 in about 3-4 minutes. I'll post some pics when I get them loaded.

FYI
It's generally recognized that the PH in the fermenter is too low to be using copper.

I just built a sanke fermenter, I had a 4" tri clamp ferrule welded to the bottom and a 1.5" on the side. Used a 2" tri clamp elbow and butterfly valve as the bottom dump. Put some strut legs on it. Also has a stainless coil for temp control. Turned out great. It helps that I'm able to get tri clamp parts, ferrules, clamps for free from work occasionally. And my friend is a sanitary welder. I have under $100 into the entire fermenter.

View attachment 1508048880285.jpg

View attachment 1508048893160.jpg

I know this is old but it is such a good idea! My question is, are these sealed well enough to be good for making wine as well? It would need to to prevent oxidation over a long period of time before bottling. About 2+ months. Any replies are appreciated. I am going to at least make these for beer

ok. This design does not lend itself to long term storage as it will be tough to avoid an air pocket at the top. The carboy design is really the best with its small opening at the top. Too bad they are a pain! I went with a SS olive oil container with a spigot. Good luck.

What an amazing thread! Thanks OP for a great idea. As I was reading about the difficulties people were having sealing the pot, I wondered whether using several powerful neodymium magnets (on top of the lid, not between the lid and the pot) to hold the lid to the body of the pot would work to get a good seal without the need to add clamps/weld/drill?
I imagine no-one needs the answer to this question anymore but thought it could be a good solution!

Hi folks! After reading through this thread, I went ahead and bought two pots from Adventures in Homebrewing (10 gallon one here: https://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-2-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6827.html, and a 15 gallon version of it). I glued 3/8" ID silicone tubing around the rim, tried to cut an angled joint on the tubing so that the two ends joined together cleanly, and then sealed it on with aquarium sealant, per suggestions in the thread.

However, it's not sealing well enough to allow the airlock to burp, even with a ton of binder clips. I don't care about seeing airlock activity, but I do care that it's not fully sealed, for trying to brew NE IPAs or other oxygen-sensitive hoppy styles.

Has anyone had success getting the fermenter to fully seal? I'd love suggestions. The lid looks like it sits quite flush, I don't see any raised areas, and it seems to seal into the silicone such that I have to put some effort into it to remove the lid.

However, it's not sealing well enough to allow the airlock to burp, even with a ton of binder clips.
I doubt binder clips can give it enough tension to seal. Look at how conicals and even SS Brewtech's Brew Buckets are sealed with tension clamps, that's what it takes. As long as CO2 comes out, not much will get in. But things may change when cold crashing, etc.

I use plastic brew buckets and get a very decent seal with the generic (gasket free) lids. I can pressurize the headspace with 10-20 psi CO2 and the lid will bulge.

That makes sense. Does anyone have a good link to tension clamps or a similar product that might work across the lid? Most of the links from earlier in the thread were dead, and what I can see on Amazon doesn't look like it's designed to incorporate a 90 degree turn.

That makes sense. Does anyone have a good link to tension clamps or a similar product that might work across the lid? Most of the links from earlier in the thread were dead, and what I can see on Amazon doesn't look like it's designed to incorporate a 90 degree turn.
Can you see or hear where your current silicone seal is incomplete or leaking? I suspect in your spliced "welding" area as that is not smooth.
Have you drilled a port into the lid yet to put some pressure inside? If so, have you pushed on the lid to see if it seals then.

Usually a thinner, more compressible material is easier for making a seal. Maybe a thin bead or strip inside the lid's rim? It should be cleanable and sanitizeable as well.

Depending on the shape of the kettle's rim, you may be able to fabricate some sort of clamps that grip underneath the kettle's rim, then bend over the lid's edge, almost at an 180° angle. From there on you can tension them with a strap or something going across the lid to a 2nd rim clamp on the other side. You may need 3 or 4 pairs like that going around to make a seal. That is if the kettle doesn't deform from the created tensions.

Can you see or hear where your current silicone seal is incomplete or leaking? I suspect in your spliced "welding" area as that is not smooth.
Have you drilled a port into the lid yet to put some pressure inside? If so, have you pushed on the lid to see if it seals then.

Usually a thinner, more compressible material is easier for making a seal. Maybe a thin bead or strip inside the lid's rim? It should be cleanable and sanitizeable as well.

Depending on the shape of the kettle's rim, you may be able to fabricate some sort of clamps that grip underneath the kettle's rim, then bend over the lid's edge, almost at an 180° angle. From there on you can tension them with a strap or something going across the lid to a 2nd rim clamp on the other side. You may need 3 or 4 pairs like that going around to make a seal. That is if the kettle doesn't deform from the created tensions.
A bead of silicone on the lid seems like a good idea, but it would need to be really smooth to avoid introducing more inconsistencies, and it might come off of the lid easily after being sealed at high tension for a few weeks.

The idea of using clamps seems solid. Another idea would be those ratcheting tension straps that people use to secure loads on the back of a pickup (among other uses, of course. You'd just have to avoid fastening them so tight that they warp the lid or buckle the bucket, either of which would go against the purpose.

A bead of silicone on the lid seems like a good idea, but it would need to be really smooth to avoid introducing more inconsistencies, and it might come off of the lid easily after being sealed at high tension for a few weeks.
Good point!

With the "bead" I didn't mean to suggest laying down a bead of (silicone) caulk, which is about impossible to get even and smoothed with our simple application tools. I was more thinking of a prefabbed round or flat gasket of some sort. For example, I have plastic "recovery buckets" that have a soft, round cross section, neoprene seal in a groove in the lid. It provides an unbelievably tight seal. With a little under-pressure (being out in the cold) you simply can't unscrew the lid.
The idea of using clamps seems solid. Another idea would be those ratcheting tension straps that people use to secure loads on the back of a pickup (among other uses, of course. You'd just have to avoid fastening them so tight that they warp the lid or buckle the bucket, either of which would go against the purpose.
That's where my idea came from too. Now the grippers need to fit under the rim, so that may take a little engineering. I now wonder if the downward pressure would be enough before the sideward pressure starts to distorts the vessel. :tank:

Lid edge clamps as used on brew buckets and conicals are much better suited. Provides tension exactly where needed and in the right direction: downward!

After some research, I've found a couple places that sell what appear to be exactly the same hooked lid clamp as is found on the SS BrewTech Brew Buckets, so I might snag 4 of them and try them out. For example, http://www.stoveparts.net/mm5/merch...rts&Product_Code=HMB-01193&Category_Code=motu as compared to replacement BrewTech lid clamps: https://www.morebeer.com/products/lid-clamp-ss-brewtech-fermenter-7-gal.html

Interestingly, they appear to be replacement parts for a Hamilton Beach blender.

Could I get away with JB Welding the latches on? I don't want to mess with drilling the latches on, since that'd involve having wort in contact with a bunch of o-rings if the fermenter is nearly full, or paying someone to weld them on.

Back