DIY motorized grain mill motor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the same motor if you Google the motor it will give u the info for wiring ccw and cw if u still have an issue let me know I'll poat what mine is wired has
Cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I used the same motor if you Google the motor it will give u the info for wiring ccw and cw if u still have an issue let me know I'll poat what mine is wired has
Cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I did do some reaserch online and I found the diagram. But nothing for running it in both directions. I have a on off on rocker switch that motor rated. It also doesn't help that I have no wiring knowledge. If you could post a dummy proof diagram that would be awesome. Cheers

If anybody has a dummy proof diagram to wire this thing to a DPDT switch it would be greatly appreciated.

jatebell sorry for the few days was under the weather so to wire your motor open the wire case mount the green wire onto the ground stud it is marked white wire Connect P1 then black wire T2 T4 T5 the remaining leads P2 T3 T8 connect them together test rotation before hooking up to system also the button you were talking about is a reset for when the motor over heats not a on/off this being said once you put power to the motor it will run if this direction of rotation dose not work for you let me know if you are unsure about putting wiring together please contact a licensed electrician this is what I have built

1395410408567.jpg

jatebell sorry for the few days was under the weather so to wire your motor open the wire case mount the green wire onto the ground stud it is marked white wire Connect P1 then black wire T2 T4 T5 the remaining leads P2 T3 T8 connect them together test rotation before hooking up to system also the button you were talking about is a reset for when the motor over heats not a on/off this being said once you put power to the motor it will run if this direction of rotation dose not work for you let me know if you are unsure about putting wiring together please contact a licensed electrician this is what I have built

I'm glad to hear you feeling better. Thanks for the help I will see if I can get this wired up. Cheers.

She works. I tried to post a vidieo but failed. At 175 rpm she crushes about 3.5lbs per min.

Can you run it backwards? The only reason I ask is since you're using a barley crusher. That's what I have too. They're notorious for stalling out when the slave roller gets dirty and wants to stop spinning. Mine does it periodically. I just shut it off and run the mill backwards and forwards a couple times until it catches again and then turn it back on. If you can't run it backwards at all, you might have to stick something down in there to poke the slave roller with if you start having problems. Or take it apart and clean it (PITA on brewday).

That's great to hear that it is up and running what is going to be your first batch of beer with it?

can you in it backwards? yes however u need to rewire the motor to run that is one reason I used puley if it dose jam I can take my belt off and move the larg wheel by hand

Can you run it backwards? The only reason I ask is since you're using a barley crusher. That's what I have too. They're notorious for stalling out when the slave roller gets dirty and wants to stop spinning. Mine does it periodically. I just shut it off and run the mill backwards and forwards a couple times until it catches again and then turn it back on. If you can't run it backwards at all, you might have to stick something down in there to poke the slave roller with if you start having problems. Or take it apart and clean it (PITA on brewday).

As of right no I cannot. I just have the motor wired straight to the extension cord. As soon as I get home from my business trip I'm gonna get it wired to a DPDT toggle switch so I can have foward and reverse option. Thanks for the input. Cheers!!

That's great to hear that it is up and running what is going to be your first batch of beer with it?

Thanks. I brewed a ten gallon ipa of mine. I call it Cirta Burst IPA I bassically just hit it with a pound of citra throught the last 15 min of the boil. This one I'm gonna split the dry hop additions. Ones gonna get all citra the other mosiec. U are right about the pulleys but I really like the idea of the gear reducer plus I don't need to worry about getting my drunk a** getting hung up in it. Cheers

Your build looks good! I also have a BC & had it wired to a switch with reverse. Only had to use reverse a couple times over the last year, but it sure is handy. Went with belt drive with a 3 speed pulley myself. It's mounted vertically with a guard, so no chance of injury. You're gonna love it! Here's a couple pics of my mill. Happy brewin! :mug:

mill1.JPG

mill2.JPG

mill3.JPG

That looks very clean. I like how you have it all I'm closed. I was thinking of doing a cabinet type build like yours but I have an addiction to stainless.

Your build looks good! I also have a BC & had it wired to a switch with reverse. Only had to use reverse a couple times over the last year, but it sure is handy. Went with belt drive with a 3 speed pulley myself. It's mounted vertically with a guard, so no chance of injury. You're gonna love it! Here's a couple pics of my mill. Happy brewin! :mug:

Any problems w/ grain dust since the motor is inside the bin w/ your grain bucket!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any problems w/ grain dust since the motor is inside the bin w/ your grain bucket!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No issues yet! :) It's a farm duty motor from work. We build concrete equipment, so they see worse than grain dust. Time will tell I guess, but after only about 10 batches it's awesome. :mug:

No issues yet! :) It's a farm duty motor from work. We build concrete equipment, so they see worse than grain dust. Time will tell I guess, but after only about 10 batches it's awesome. :mug:

Concrete dust may damage the motor, so maybe you're not concerned about that, but grain dust can explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEShlfxB1Ik

Concrete dust may damage the motor, so maybe you're not concerned about that, but grain dust can explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEShlfxB1Ik

Wow, that would not be a good thing! I do have a plate dividing the compartment, but it doesn't seal off the motor completely. I'll have to change that. Does anyone know of this happening, ever, to a homebrewer? I'm certain I'm not the first one to have a motor near the bucket. :smack:

Wow, that would not be a good thing! I do have a plate dividing the compartment, but it doesn't seal off the motor completely. I'll have to change that. Does anyone know of this happening, ever, to a homebrewer? I'm certain I'm not the first one to have a motor near the bucket. :smack:

No knowledge of it happening to a homebrewer, but grain silos have exploded violently many times. Consider that the motors likely only would spark on start up, which in most cases is not when you would have a lot of grain dust present.

They also do make "explosion-proof" electric motors. If your motor happens to be one of those, you might be fine.

Either way, it's probably worth making some small changes to your compartment design to reduce the risk of it. Looks like it would be pretty easy to do, you just need to keep the dust contained, so even a flimsy plastic divider would get the job done.

Thanks! Better safe than sorry. I think I'll add a dust chute into the bucket just to be safe. Easy enough! :tank:

Latest posts

Back