Different ABV Values

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrstud

Reaction score
Hello Forum:

My hydrometer calculation is giving me a different value than online ABV calculators.
OG = 1.090
FG = 1.032.

ABV Calculators will get me around 7.57%.

When I follow the instructions from the hydrometer it has me convert the OG and FG values into potential ABV first and then subtract the two:
1.090 = 12.2%
1.032 = 3.2%
12.2 - 3.2 = 9.0% ABV.

Is the method my hydrometer is using correct?

Thanks

Chris

If it makes you feel any better, even the commercial breweries will often have wrong ABV. There is just a lot of disagreement about it and it's hard to get it exactly right. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/budweiser-watered-down-beer-lawsuit/317949/ (just the first link I found, you can find a lot of cases people saying some beer has the wrong ABV)

There is a ~15% difference between your numbers. Or, equivalent to you misreading both OG and FG by 0.005 or one of them by 0.01 -- I doubt your measurements are exactly correct, so I wouldn't worry too much. For example, you may add 0.4% ABV(give or take 0.2%) just with the priming sugar and that's generally ignored.

Most calculators use the 7.5% value. Brewtarget and some others will use an equation that gives you the 9% value. I use the 9% value, mostly because I started with them and my result tasted similar when I made a 5% beer.

I doubt you can tell a 15% increase or decrease in ABV in a bottle of beer, so I wouldn't worry too much. 7.5% and 9% looks like a huge difference at a glance, but it isn't. The difference between 4% and 5% difference is more than that, for example. It's not a big deal.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, even the commercial breweries will often have wrong ABV. There is just a lot of disagreement about it and it's hard to get it exactly right.

Not sure if I misunderstood the article.

That article isn't about gravity reading errors. Its about them using watering down the beer to stretch their supply/sales. I would imagine they know exactly what their ABV is? and using much more advanced technology than triple scale hydrometer to determine it.

Not sure if I misunderstood the article.

That article isn't about gravity reading errors. Its about them using watering down the beer to stretch their supply/sales. I would imagine they know exactly what their ABV is? and using much more advanced technology than triple scale hydrometer to determine it.
The mass-brew stuff is already watered down, so it's not like they recently added watering-down to the pipeline. My guess is someone somewhere made an error and they had a faulty batch. They don't really have a lot of to gain by watering it down more than necessary.
I'd guess AB is usually pretty careful too, but all the craft beer stuff? A lot of it has to be misleading, even if it is unintentional and harmless.
I am just saying most people can't tell the difference between small changes in ABV, and even if we did, the stuff we buy isn't going to be exactly correct.

There is a ~15% difference between your numbers. Or, equivalent to you misreading both OG and FG by 0.005 or one of them by 0.01 -- I doubt your measurements are exactly correct, so I wouldn't worry too much. For example, you may add 0.4% ABV(give or take 0.2%) just with the priming sugar and that's generally ignored.
Agreed - the priming sugar will affect the final value and that accuracy of reading will also have an impact.

Most calculators use the 7.5% value. Brewtarget and some others will use an equation that gives you the 9% value. I use the 9% value, mostly because I started with them and my result tasted similar when I made a 5% beer.

I guess my question is why are there two different equations and why is there such a difference between them, 20% difference (1.5%ABV/7.5%ABV ) in output value.

I doubt you can tell a 15% increase or decrease in ABV in a bottle of beer, so I wouldn't worry too much. 7.5% and 9% looks like a huge difference at a glance, but it isn't. The difference between 4% and 5% difference is more than that, for example. It's not a big deal.

Agreed - I likely can't tell/taste the difference. I was trying to make a barley wine and didn't achieve the ABV I was targeting. So being only 7.5% is much lower than I was hoping for. I just wished it was 1.5% the other way.

So what is the reason for the big difference between the two methods?

So what is the reason for the big difference between the two methods?
Mostly because they are correct enough. If we were brewing beers above 10% ABV, we'd probably be troubled by them and improve. But most people work around 5% ABV, and these equations produce good-enough values. Going by the equations @balrog posted, the error margin in your case is "only" 10%. There are a few more equations around by the way, these aren't the only ones. There is another common one that was (OG-FG)/(x-OG), but I forgot :p

In any case, this simplification results in larger errors as you start working with higher gravity.

Equation A. ((OG – FG) * 131.25)
Equation B. (76.08 * (OG - FG) / (1.775 - OG)) * (FG / 0.794)

Example A. 1.1 OG, 1.01 FG
Example B. 1.05 OG, 1.01 FG

Result A Eq A. ((1.1 – 1.01) * 131.25) = 11.81
Result A Eq B. (76.08 * (1.1 - 1.01) / (1.775 - 1.1)) * (1.01 / 0.794) = 12.9

Result B Eq A. ((1.05 – 1.01) * 131.25) = 5.25
Result B Eq B. (76.08 * (1.05 - 1.01) / (1.775 - 1.05)) * (1.01 / 0.794) = 5.33

Result A error margin = 8.82%
Result B error margin = 1.51%

You can(and in many cases I will agree with you) find a 10% or 20% margin too significant to be comfortable. If you ask a mathematician, they are most likely to be uncomfortable if they are off by 10% in their results. If you ask a computer engineer, a 10% difference in performance is usually considered random noise. albeit the serious ones will tune their algorithms. If you ask a cook, they won't even measure their ingredients most of the time and 10% is not even considered. So which view should prevail? I find the 10% margin to be comfortable for me in homebrewing.

Back