Difference Between Toasted and Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacDub7

Reaction score
So, total noob question.

Just bought ingredients to make the No Sham Shamrock Irish Red recipe, in Charlie P's Book. It calls for 1/2 lb of Toasted Barley. I did not see Toasted Barley at the LHBS, so I bought 1/2 lb of Roasted Barley instead, but was thinking it looked awfully dark to make a Red.

Got home and read the recipe again, and it turns out you are supposed to buy regular Barley, and toast it yourself. :smack:

I didn't want to make a trip back, so I went ahead and used what I have (steeping right now).

I've brewed mostly extract batches so far, and am not super familiar in the differences between specialty malts. I am guessing this may not come out to the Irish Red, that I was shooting for, but I'm sure it will still make beer :mug:

Any ideas on how this might come out?

Full Recipe:

5 lbs amber LME
1 lb crystal malt 40
1/2 lb roasted barley (should have used TOASTED)
1 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz Tettnanger
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (book actually calls for American Ale Yeast)

Roasted barley is what gives a stout those roasted, coffee like flavors. But you'd generally be using more than a half pound of dark roasted grains in a stout or porter. So maybe a dark, roasty brown ale? Who knows, might be your favorite batch.
:mug:

I think it depends on how long your were going to toast your barley. If were toasted it for about an hour it'd in essence *be* "roast barley" but if you toast it for a half hour or less it can by "nutty" or "light".( Ref: Palmer Chapter 20)

SO I don't think you're really in the "i screwed up" boat yet. Will probably be have rich roasty overtones hinting, but not directing, of a porter while being very much a red, whereas the intended recipe probably meant it to be more "nutty" rather than "coffee". But it's well within the range of taste variety I think. Actually it sounds kind of good.

Anyway 1/2 a lb for steeping is pretty small. It'll give hints but not direct, I think.

I'd say it's the difference between making toast in a toaster and roasting bread (for 30 min to an hour) in the oven. I'm guessing you'll get a completely different animal.

Not to say that it won't still be great beer or at least something fun to drink.

Thanks for the good advice dudes!

The wort sample was delicious (ended up adding 1 lb amber DME as well, to try and kick up the ABV).

The color was not nearly as dark as I had feared. I guess 1/2 lb of the (steeped) RB wasn't much.

Tucked away safely fermenting now, and I can't wait to try it!

I think it depends on how long your were going to toast your barley. If were toasted it for about an hour it'd in essence *be* "roast barley" but if you toast it for a half hour or less it can by "nutty" or "light".( Ref: Palmer Chapter 20)

Pretty hard to get something like roasted barley in your oven without risking a fire :cross:. Palmer is talking about making your own malts that would be similar to things like victory, amber, and brown malts.

Sounds like it's going to be good though, OP. Lots of stories on here about some of the best beers starting as "mistakes". Be sure to report back!

MacDub7 said:
So, total noob question.

Just bought ingredients to make the No Sham Shamrock Irish Red recipe, in Charlie P's Book. It calls for 1/2 lb of Toasted Barley. I did not see Toasted Barley at the LHBS, so I bought 1/2 lb of Roasted Barley instead, but was thinking it looked awfully dark to make a Red.

Got home and read the recipe again, and it turns out you are supposed to buy regular Barley, and toast it yourself. :smack:

I didn't want to make a trip back, so I went ahead and used what I have (steeping right now).

I've brewed mostly extract batches so far, and am not super familiar in the differences between specialty malts. I am guessing this may not come out to the Irish Red, that I was shooting for, but I'm sure it will still make beer :mug:

Any ideas on how this might come out?

Full Recipe:

5 lbs amber LME
1 lb crystal malt 40
1/2 lb roasted barley (should have used TOASTED)
1 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz Tettnanger
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (book actually calls for American Ale Yeast)

I think Irish Red needs Roasted Barley to give it a non-hoppy bitterness, slightly acrid, sort of "crunchy." Irish red seems like a much lighter/drier version of stout, but the RB is one thing that separates it from other British pale ales or bitters. Roasted barley is appropriate for that one.

Latest posts

Back