Did I add too much Lactobacillus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fennykun

Reaction score
I am making my first sour(and first beer for that matter) having only done ciders and wines in the past. I followed a recipe on here meant for 5 gallons and cut all ingredients to make a 2 gallon batch. Problem is I didn't cut the Lactobacillus culture when I added it. The whole pack was meant for 5 gallons but I put it into roughly 3(it hasn't been boiled yet) I'm just wondering if this could decrease the amount of time it would take to sour and if I need to boil it sooner than the recipe called for. I also don't have a ph meter...

It shouldn't be a problem.
Souring is self-limiting because the bacteria stop producing acid once the pH drops to a certain level.

Cheers

I'm just wondering if this could decrease the amount of time it would take to sour and if I need to boil it sooner than the recipe called for. I also don't have a ph meter...

I believe it will sour quicker, as the same number of bacteria have less volume in which to do their job. But, like the previous comment says, it will approach a lower limit pH even if you wait the full duration. Maybe boil 12 hours sooner than you would have with 5 gals, just to be safe (so it doesn’t end up with a pH of 3.1 or something)?

Back