delabeling and bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizit524

Reaction score
so I will be bottling my first batch tomorrow woot! but I had 2 questions
Over the past 3 weeks I have been collecting bottles from neighbors and friends. I finally have enough.
I have been cleaning them and removing labels then tomorrow I will do a through sanitation of them
Normally I let them soak over night in a sanitation solution and the labels float right off for 98% of them.
I have 5 bottles that dont use paper labels. and they are STUCK on there. with much effort I have been able to peel off 2 of the 5 labels and then soak again but the glue never comes off. I have scrubbed with soap and resoaked them but nothing.
Any suggestions? on the last 2 I am just going to leave them because I am lazy but the other 3 look terrible with the labels partially off and when you pick them up your hand sticks to the bottle

Also before you get on my case about the bottle I am about to show you. Let me explain. I am curious as to; if I can use a few of these for bottling?

These are sparkling water bottles that are pressurized like soda. I want to bottle with a few of these because I would like to take these to parties and I don't want to lug my glass bottles back home.
I do realize that this is a clear bottle and the ideal one is a glass brown one to prevent skunking. But while I store these it will be in a cool pitch black place and will only be taken out to chill then drink instantly.

Can I still bottle with these : see attachment

IMG_5249.jpg

Have you tried soaking in Oxyclean? that stuff takes the labels right off...
I know there are a lot of us that have gotten out of bottling beer and have a stash of clean bottles looking for someone to adopt them. where are you located??

For the non-paper labels that are stuck, I scrape the labels off with a razor knife, then use lighter fluid, goof-off, or some other solevent to remove the remaining glue.

I soak/delabel my bottles in PBW solution. 1.5ozs per gallon of water overnight. Only computer style labels are stubborn. Those have to be scraped & soaked to get the labels/glue off. but bottles like these come right off & glue dissolves;
Michelobe
DFH
Paulaner
Franzikaner
Wernesgruner
Sam Adams
Sierra Nevada
Thirsty Dog
Lagunitas
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Left Hand Brewing
To name a few. I use a bottle brush inside,& a Dobie Brand scrubber on the outside. Easy & quick. Sanitizers don't work as well as cleaners for this purpose.

haha @motleybrew you are right. I am in Edinburgh. I am actually from the states but I am getting a masters here.

I will see if I can find goof off or something similar to that. I used the chemicals we had in our apartment but those did nothing. Oxy-clean is pretty much non existent over here. I have searched for that in all the stores when I go out.

Am I able to use the tesco bottles for bottling beer? since it was pressurized water at one point?

Ammonia solution cheap and extremely effective) is what I usually use, or run them through a dishwasher (tends to get labels stuck in the filter).

I've used PBW and oxyclean as well.

It's my understanding that soda carbonation is higher than all styles of beer carbonation.
I'd say you are fine as long as the cap/seal is in good working order.
Maybe just a one-time, one-way only use.

Leave the label on for confusion . . . . . :D

'da Kid

There are enough bottles around that its not even worth messing around with the stubborn ones.

I just use Arm&Hammer baking soda to remove labels. Soak overnight with half a cup mixed in a giant tub of water and the labels come right off. Cheap and doesn't smell bad.

So I used oxyclean and it got my Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada labels off. Any suggestions on how to get my Heineken labels off?

So, the B-Brite (Which I think is the same as oxyclean) soaked off all the sierra Nevada and sam adams labels off just fine.

I found in the forums for Heineken bottles, that putting them in the oven at 180 degrees worked. And it did. I just had to scrape off the glue.

I found in the forums for Corona bottles, you could put them in Muric acid. I put mine in vinegar overnight, and it wiped right off.

Unless they fall right off, I just leave the labels on my beer bottles. I use different color bottle caps to tell them apart.

Latest posts

Back