DeathBrewer's RIS 08/08/08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to Friday. I actually might wait until Saturday. I am having a guest brew day at the house with two excellent judges.

Popped one just now and poured into a Belgain snifter. Here you go DB.

Bottle fill was good.

Appreance: Dark brown with deep red legs showing some nice alcohol. Dark tan head dissipating quickly. 3/3

Aroma: Coffe, chocolate with dark fruit evident. Moderate roastiness with no discernible hop aroma. Alcohol evident. 9/12

Flavor: Roasted grains more evident but balanced, alcohol warmth with prune notes and light hop character. Slightly tart lactic finish with more dark fruit and light hop bitterness. 15/20

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation for style, well attenuated and balanced. 4/5

Overall: DB, this was a very good rendition. The specialty malts were evident and well balanced. I would have liked a bit more hop aroma and flavor. The tartness on the finish was a wee distraction from the high quality of this beer. 8/10

Total: 39/50

Thank you for sharing this beer with me. It was a treat.

DeathBrewer

Unfortunately for this beer I opened it after just finishing the Brewpastors 08-08-08.

It poured a dark black/brown color with a brown head that quickly dissipated.

Aroma of roasted flavors with some coffee notes as the beer warms.
The flavors were somewhat mellow for an RIS (but then again I had just finished a 9% RIS).
This was an easy drinking stout and I had trouble pacing myself.

I really enjoyed this RIS. It just didn't have the intensity of flavors I expect in an imperial stout. (Blame Brewpastor for spoiling my taste buds)

Craig

Damn you Brewpastor!!! :p

Thanks much for the reviews! Unfortunately, i did not add any aroma hops to this brew. I had planned to dry-hop but completely blew it off.

my next RIS will be dry-hopped and has a slightly different grain bill. can't wait to swap with you folks again in the future.

:mug:

Back