Deals Homebrewers Dig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLTIDE

Reaction score
I am starting this thread after a few people posted on another thread a good deal at a supermarket ( Aldi's has n/a pumpkin cider in flip top bottles for $2). I felt this would make a good running thread where we can keep each other in the loop.

Aldi's had a special on 12oz bags of cranberries two years ago ... .25cents per bag.
I bought about 20lbs and made cranberry wine. Straight cranberries ... it turned out spectacular and I'm down to the last two bottles which I'm saving for the holidays. Wish I'd made two or three times the amount for that price.
I asked a couple weeks ago about such deals and the stockperson told me that they only have those kinds of prices if they are getting rid of backstock and that the only way to find those deals is to stop by in person often. I'll definitely be checking nearer to Thanksgiving this year.

I love Aldis . shop there every week . too bad Kansas does not allow them to sell liquor . We have 3.2 and 6.0 beer . which only means it does not have more than that but does most likely have quite less. 3.2 beer in stores and 6.0 or wine/ whiskey in liquor stores .
great beef and fish . Veggies are grown on their own farms , well farms that are leased to grow for them . Can not beat their prices .

We just got an Aldi near by. I went shopping there once. I doubt I will go again unless it is for a quick stop for a couple of items. I was totally unimpressed with the store.

Add: The store here had no fresh produce and very little in the way of meat or fish. The prices were average.

We just got an Aldi near by. I went shopping there once. I doubt I will go again unless it is for a quick stop for a couple of items. I was totally unimpressed with the store.

Add: The store here had no fresh produce and very little in the way of meat or fish. The prices were average.

wow that seems like an unusual thing . Aldi is a world wide corp. the stores here have just about everything . Stores are not real big but they do have a nice selection of meat and the specials section usually has lots of good stuff at prices that are almost half of Dillons . they also sell a brand of cookware that they own and it is pretty good stuff . Lots of different special buy items in the toy , tools, yard , rugs ..... department .
you should try one in a larger city maybe . the ones in the more money upitty neighborhoods have more stuff.

The one closest to us doesn't stock most of the same brands as other grocers. It looks more like shopping in the Euro section of other stores. And that's kind of cool.

But they do that damn forced flow to the extreme. You walk in and turn left. No other option. Each isle is narrow and most only offer one way to turn. They've laid it out so you just about have to file through in a sideways S pattern. It's not browser friendly. Get your stuff and get out. Best know what you want and where it is. No wandering. No back tracking.

And they used to not offer bags at all. You come in with no bags and you walk out with a cart of loose items. Not a big deal, really. I don't have to carry the groceries home by hand. Now they have bags but, you have to pay a few cents for each one or bring your own.

I haven't been in one that I recall, but the wife tells me they usually have some odd stuff that the usual places don't carry. I didn't get a chance to stop in this weekend. No dance for the kid tonight, but maybe tomorrow I can swing in a check it out.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Aldi's is a German company. Zis accounts for zer logical unt frugal methods. It also accounts for their occasional European/German items. I usually buy stollen (a type of German fruit bread with marzipan in it) around the holidays every year ... about half the price of other stores.

Back to the original intent of the thread: I get paint strainer bags in one gallon and 5 gallon sizes for grains, hops etc. at Home Depot. I also have a local dairy that sells their 5 gallon buckets that contained coffee syrup, chocolate etc. for $1.50 ea. You can find places that will give empties for free but you have to search.

Now that's good stuff right there! Makes me wish I lived closer to a dairy, I have crapped out at all of the schools and restaurants I have tried...oh wait, one school offer me a pickle bucket. Yeah cuz that smell /flavor wont linger, lol.

Latest posts

Back