Dark Hybrid Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I'm certainly open to critique on this recipe as well, which is meant to be something like a dark cream ale that doesn't come across as roasty, something like a Cascadian Dark minus the high IBU's and citrusy/piney hops as I want something more noble hop-like as I want something somewhat like Boston Lager, but with more hop presence.

6 gal partial mash recipe:

5 lbs pilsen LME (FO)
3 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 20
3/4 lb carafa III special
3/4 lb brown sugar
1/2 lb crystal 80
6 oz carafoam
1/4 lb Briess chocolate 350*
US-05

1.061/1.012
6.4% ABV
32 SRM's

I'm thinking high 30's to mid 40's for IBU's.

I'm trying to use up my older hops. The dates are dates received. Below the dotted line are the newer hops that I'd prefer not use, but have in case a blend using them would be superior. This is what I have:

1 oz packs:
Perle 8.9% 11 '12
Mt Hood 5.9% 11 '12
Santiam 7.2% 2 '13
Cluster 6.8% 1 '13
Palisade 7.1% 2 '13
------------------------------
Liberty 4.9% 10 '13
Willamette 5.2% 10 '13

2 oz packs:
Willamette 4.7% 3 '13
Perle 7.5% 12 '12
-------------------------------
Liberty 4.9% 10 '13 (2)
Willamette 5.2% 10 '13

Initially I had given it a hop schedule of:
.6 oz Willamette/.2 oz Cluster & Perle
.7 oz Willamette/.4 oz Cluster & Perle
36 IBU's

I wanted to raise it up to about 40-45 IBU's and considered throwing an oz of Mt Hood. I've never really mixed these noble hops together before as I usually used them in low IBU wheats and blondes and such.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like you're craving a schwarzbier!

Your older hops might be too old to use, depending on how you stored them. If they've been in nitrogen-flushed, freezing-cold conditions, use your Perle, Mount Hood and Santiam for this recipe. If they've been sitting around in the frig, try using them in a lambic instead. Your Libertys might be shot, those don't store well. e.e

I'd say to use the perle and santiam early in the boil to develop noble-hop flavor, use the wilamette for aroma, and save the cluster for blonde ale.

They are from MoreBeer, and I believe they were sealed with nitrogen, but I'm not sure about that.

I keep them in the freezer.

If Liberty doesn't sit well should I use them in this or my honey wheat beer that I'm also making (planned on using all of the Mt Hood in it).

And what would poor Liberty be like? Low in AA's or stale/absent flavor?

Should I lower the AA's of my hops by 10% to get a rough estimate of where they actually are?

I'm wanting a more forefront hop flavor than Boston Lager.

I just looked back and noticed the Liberty was bought in Oct of last year. It ought to still be good, though I'm not sure which year they were harvested. Isn't Fall about when hops are harvested? Would it likely be the last of the previous year's crop?

It's funny I was going to say the same thing about liberty. Not sure what it is exactly, but I happened to be reading a book that talked about hops and it mentioned that liberty is the worst as far as shelf life.

Regarding what it loses over time, I'm not sure. My guess would be potency - less bitterness, flavor, and aroma. But I'm not sure if they are lost proportionally, so I don't know if you'd need to double for bitterness, add 25% extra for flavor and 50% extra for aroma, for instance. May get a bit of a stale taste as well.

How likely are the Liberty to be from the previous year's crop?

I'm guessing they are as the prior Liberty I got was also 4.9% AA's.

I suppose I'll switch out the Liberty and use it in the wheat that's heavily hopped. Won't be bad if it's actually lower in IBU's as I usually make them about 15, and plan on making this one 30.

I guess... don't worry about it! If they're stored that well, than they will have degraded minimally. They will only impart a bad taste if they smell bad (think cheesy). If they smell fresh, use them and see how the beer turns out. Try another batch, with newer hops, and see how that tastes. Take good notes and add to your knowledge! o.ob

These will be my last batches for a while as we'll be moving out of state.

I had configured a way to use all 5 ounces, but it seemed a bit too much, and assuming the AA's were lower, which still put it just on the outside of the IBU specs.

I'm considering reorganizing my dark hybrid beer to use up the Liberty.

Back