dark haze on secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp98ak

Reaction score
Help...

Ok, I get the RDWHAHB mantra, but ive never heard of this one.

I have 4ish gallons in a secondary (on day 2) after 7 days on the primary. Brewing a hefe. I seem to have a 1.5 inch dark haze on the top of the beer.

What might this be?

Im downright anal about my processes; temps, testing, sanitation...
No idea where this is coming from.

Any hefe brewers see this kinda thing? (Granted, it might not be limited to hefes... )

C.

This is a decent representation...

ForumRunner_20131025_222703.jpg

Just looks like particles and yeast settling out of the beer. As time goes on the line will get lower and lower...

2 things. 1) A hefe doesn't need a secondary hardly ever. You want some cloudiness, so putting it in a clearing vessel actually works against you. 2) You have way too much headspace there, and that can allow oxygen to come into contact with the beer, along with all the other risks that oxygen brings along (aerobic infections like acetobacter, oxidized cardboard-tasting beer).

The line you are seeing is probably just the beer clearing - as the yeast falls out of suspension the beer will look clearer and also darker due to there being less haze. As the previous poster said, that line should continue to get lower as the yeast flocs and falls to the bottom.

Yeah, I started thinking of taking it to a kristallweizen, adding some gelatin for the keg.

The airlock on the secondary did bubble a little. Since co2 is heavier then air, I should be ok, right?

On the hefe note, how WOULD one stop a hefe from clearing in the keg? If I did do a straight-uo hefe, how could I stop it from cleaning if I wanted to cold condition it for any length of time?

Latest posts

Back