DAP vs Feramid K

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briatta

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a Ginger Mead that calls for yeast nutrient, but isn't specific on the type. I'm a totally newbie to brewing so for a recipe that is basically just honey, ginger root, fresh squeezed orange juice and water what would be a better choice, Fermaid K or DAP ?

Both. 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp Fermaid K per gallon. Add upfront, at 2/3, and 1/3 sugar break (if SG was 1.099, you would add upfront, 1.066, and 1.033).

Fermaid K has vitamins, trace minerals, and DAP. Alone, Fermaid K does not have enough DAP, so you have to supplement with pure DAP.

It also wouldn't hurt to add 1/4 tsp potassium carbonate per gallon to buffer the pH. Especially since you are adding acidic orange juice.

Better brewing through science!

-----snip-----
Alone, Fermaid K does not have enough DAP, so you have to supplement with pure DAP.
-----/snippage-----
Meh! Dunno about that Bray. FK provides 120ppm per gramme per litre. Whereas DAP provides 200ppm per gramme per litre.

Don't know for certain, but suspect that DAP was originally used to help boost nitrogen, but at a lower cost. Ken Schramms article about mead nutrition explains about typical levels required (a lot of threads seem to suggest under use). It also explains about where H2S can come from, hence why your suggestion of 2parts FK, 1 part DAP is spot on.

Just thought it worthy of mention.......

But +1 one your guidance/post........

Though I have never had mead I am interested in trying my hand at a batch of mead. Is there a mead that is available that you would re commend I purchase to try? Not looking for anything specific, just a true mead. Thanks

Whats the recipe, it sounds good?

It's one of Jack Keller's recipes. I'll just copy/paste to make it easier. It will be my first time trying it. I am going to make a few adjustments though. For one, I am not going to use water that hot to mix in my honey.

Zingimel (Ginger Mead)

2-1/2 lbs clover honey (you can use any honey)
1/2 oz ginger root, peeled and sliced crosswise
juice of one large orange
water to 1 gal
1 Campden tablet
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1 sachet Lalvin 71B-1122 (or Red Star Pasteur Champagne)

Heat 1 quart water to perhaps 120 degrees F. and stir in the honey. Cover and remove from heat. Meanwhile, brought a separate 2 cups water with the ginger root slices to a gentle boil. When ginger slices begin to turn translucent carefully strain water into honey-water, discarding the root or saving for a mild tea. In primary, combine two quarts cold water, orange juice, yeast nutrient and energizer, and combined honey- and ginger-waters. Bring volume up to one gallon, cover and allow to cool to about 80 degrees F. Pitch activated yeast and recover primary. After 2 days stir daily until s.g. drops to 1.010 (mine did this on day 9), then transfer to secondary and attach airlock. Ferment 30 days and rack, add a finely ground and dissolved Campden tablet, top up and reattach airlock. Wait 60 days and rack again, then repeat after additional 60 days. After third 60-day period, inspect bottom of secondary for sediment. It should be clean, in which case you can bottle the mead, but if a very light dusting is visible rack once again and bottle after a few days. Bottle age at least 3 months and serve chilled. [Author's own recipe]

For some reason I was distracted when I pitched the yeast and did not take a starting specific gravity reading so I didn't know how much alcohol this mead had. Because it fermented dry (0.998), I used a vinometer and measured about 10.5% alcohol. At bottling time, this mead tasted marvelous. An ounce or so I chilled tasted even better.

Though I have never had mead I am interested in trying my hand at a batch of mead. Is there a mead that is available that you would re commend I purchase to try? Not looking for anything specific, just a true mead. Thanks

I've only had a few store-bought meads and I tend to lean toward sweet ones so I really couldn't give you any good suggestions. You might try posting for suggestions in the mead forum.

Back