DAP and ester (lack of) production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
Good Morning, and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Cider Makers (and Brewers too)!

I have to be quick as I am on turkey duty today (and I have to rack a cider as well since it hit the flavor profile that I hope to preserve), so its a busy day! Anyhow,I was listening to a podcast the other day concerning the use of yeast nutrients when making cider. The cider maker being interviewed mentioned that using DAP inhibits ester production, and to use yeast nutrients that have amino acids instead. I think he said Fermaid O and K are good to go, but I will give the podcast a second listen to glean any more useful info with respect to yeast nutes and pass it on. I'm playing with the idea of adding pure amino acids to a cider in the future to see what, if anything happens. Most aminos in the store are flavored, but there is an online retailer that sells unflavored, bulk branched chain aminos. Here is a chart I found:
Aminos.jpg

If any of you have any info on using nutes, I would love to hear what you have read, heard or experienced. I am using kveik strains, which need lots of nutes given the speed of fermentation, as I am sure everyone here is well aware of :)

Attachments

• Aminos.jpg
    Aminos.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 11
Good Morning, and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Cider Makers (and Brewers too)!

I have to be quick as I am on turkey duty today (and I have to rack a cider as well since it hit the flavor profile that I hope to preserve), so its a busy day! Anyhow,I was listening to a podcast the other day concerning the use of yeast nutrients when making cider. The cider maker being interviewed mentioned that using DAP inhibits ester production, and to use yeast nutrients that have amino acids instead. I think he said Fermaid O and K are good to go, but I will give the podcast a second listen to glean any more useful info with respect to yeast nutes and pass it on. I'm playing with the idea of adding pure amino acids to a cider in the future to see what, if anything happens. Most aminos in the store are flavored, but there is an online retailer that sells unflavored, bulk branched chain aminos. Here is a chart I found:
View attachment 654556

If any of you have any info on using nutes, I would love to hear what you have read, heard or experienced. I am using kveik strains, which need lots of nutes given the speed of fermentation, as I am sure everyone here is well aware of :)

If you are looking for BCAAs made for direct human consumption bodybuilding.com sells capsules of BCAAs which are unflavored. I'm sure they have unflavored powders as well, but you would have to check. The only thing I would be concerned with is any stabalizer or anti-caking agents they put in there. I'm not sure if there is a chemical company that produces them specifically for brewing.

I can't speak for using them in fermentation, but Optimum Nutrition makes plain BCAAs in powder form. A lot harder to find than the capsules (which you can usually get at GNC or equivalent). I order it from Amazon a few jars at a time when available.

If you are looking for BCAAs made for direct human consumption bodybuilding.com sells capsules of BCAAs which are unflavored. I'm sure they have unflavored powders as well, but you would have to check. The only thing I would be concerned with is any stabalizer or anti-caking agents they put in there. I'm not sure if there is a chemical company that produces them specifically for brewing.
I get the BCAA's from bulksupplements.com, no additives whatsoever. Tastes like crap, but it works, and cheap :)

fermaid K has DAP, fermaid O does not.
That’s the main difference between the two.
I’ll be watching this thread, as fermaids are really expensive. An alternative would be welcomed.

Latest posts

Back