Danger in leaving brew in fermenter for extra time after it's done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently out of town but have a batch of ale in the fermenter. Is there any danger in ruining my brew if I leave it in the fermenter for days after it's done fermenting? Off flavors, etc?

Happy Thanksgiving :cask:

I'm currently out of town but have a batch of ale in the fermenter. Is there any danger in ruining my brew if I leave it in the fermenter for days after it's done fermenting? Off flavors, etc?

Happy Thanksgiving :cask:

Nope. You can leave it for months. The only dangers are oxidation and autolysis (yeast essentially starts digesting itself and dies). Oxidation isn't an issue if you have a normal sealed fermentor with an airlock, and autolysis takes many months.

There's a lot of factors. Temp, time, and pressure being the big ones. Dormant yeast will start to break down, releasing their contents into your beer (yeast autolysis), raising the pH and starting a savory, umami character. As it gets worse it can get brothy, then meaty, soy-saucy, and at extremes rancid or burnt rubber. It's most dangerous at pro level where the pressure of thousands of gallons of beer on top of the yeast makes it happen a lot faster. But it happens regularly in homebrew as well.

If your temp is good and you didn't, say, dump new wort straight on a previous yeast cake, a few days will be fine. A couple weeks after it's done and it can become noticeable (as much as many homebrewers on here insist it doesn't) especially if the temps are higher. A couple months, you're asking for problems. They won't likely be *intense* even at a couple months on the yeast (perhaps why homebrewers refuse to acknowledge it happens at all).

1st time I see here someone saying it will be noticeable so quickly.

It's likely that some people are highly sensitive to umami from autolysis (but rarely post in forums), highly sensitive to peach in US-05 (and post in forms on occasion), highly sensitive to ... . There's a link to the science in the early part of chapter 5 of The New IPA.

Back