Crushing Grain Without a Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackinturk

Reaction score
I'm trying to do some one-gallon batches using liquid and dry extract. But I also plan to steep some specialty grains in most of the batches. My question is how do I crush the grains without a mill? My local shop is new and doesn't have their mill set up yet so all their grains are whole. I was planning to just measure out how much I need and put them in a large ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Do you guys think this would do a good enough job? My other option would be a food processor, but I think this would grind them a little too much, maybe even just turn the grains into dust.

Cool. Thanks. I'm only doing small batches so I won't be doing a lot of grain at a time. The local shop is planning on setting up a grain mill in the shop, so hopefully this won't be an issue much longer.

After getting a really poor crush at my LBS, I tried crushing the grain in a freezer-grade zip lock using a rolling pin. It didn't work. I ended up with dents in my rolling pin and tons of holes in the bag. I tried again using aluminum foil, and got much the same result. The resulting efficiency sucked, too.

I have used a mortar and pestle, but that sucks if you have more than a few ounces. I can't imagine your lhbs will go more than a few days without a grain crusher, if you have much to do it may pay to wait.

Ah you poor sap, have been there. Rolling pin didn't work worth a damn for me. What I finally ended up doing was throwing about a handful in the blender and hitting the chop for literally a second until I got an acceptable crush. Takes forever but at least your only doing a little. I got screwed by brewmasters warehouse, they send me my 5gal Irish red order uncrushed and 2 weeks late. Best of luck friend.

I used a blender last week, and it worked just fine. Only put in maybe two cups max at a time. You want to see all the grain moving, not just at the bottom. It looked very similar to the 4 oz of chocolate malt I had which was milled correctly. As long as you are just using it for steeping, this will work just fine.

I'm using a blender too. Still working it out, but I find very little flour, less than the grist crushed at LHBS. My gravity has been high and low on the two batches I've done.

ones that can handle CD's actually work well in a pinch. just don't do it at work, all sorts of questions pop up.:D

I know from experience myself.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/paper-shredder-mill-203515/

Shredder_with_Hopper.JPG

I used a rolling pin and a 1-gal ziploc bag. The bag did end up with a bunch of little holes in it, but I wasn't storing them so that wasn't really a problem. My only concern with using the blender is that we have one of those Ninja blenders, and I think it would turn most of my grain into powder. I do have a coffee grinder, but that would need some pretty serious cleaning before I ran grains through it, since it's coated with coffee.

The food processor does work. It can really chop up your grain, but for steeping in a grain bag there shouldn't be a problem. I used to do all my steeps with a food processor because the rolling pin method was way too much work.

A one gallon extract batch would only use a few ounces, you could probably smash them individually. ;)

I'd hit them with a mallet.

Back