Critique my IPA! First recipe ever. Add some dextrose or leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksquid

Reaction score
So after making a Pliny clone that was a huge success, I wanted to make something a bit less alcoholic and bitter. Unfortunately, I forgot to throw in the 0.75lb of dextrose during the last minutes of the boil. Do you guys think I should add it now or should I wait and see what my FG will be? :drunk:

10G batch, mashed at 152F for 60 minutes. Post boil SG was 1.054. 79.3IBUs.

20lbs 2-row (93.3%)
1lb Carapils (4.7%)
0.45lbs Crystal 40L (2.1% - would've 2x that, but that's what I had on hand)

1.5 oz Chinook 60 min

1.5 oz Chinook 40 min

2 oz Cascade 15 min
2 oz Chinook 15 min

1 tsp Irish Moss 10 min

2 oz Cascade 0 min
2 oz Chinook 0 min
1 oz Citra 0 min

Threw in 2 packets of US-05.

Will dry hop with 2-3 oz of Chinook and Cascade each over the course of +/- 2 weeks after primary.

:fro:

I dont think its worth adding at this point. It will start another (albeit small) fermentation, which will cause you to lose more hop character.

Your bitterness to gravity ratio is about 1.4 which is pretty high so adding a bit more to the gravity wouldn't hurt I don't think. And with 4-6 ounces of dry hops I wouldn't worry too much about loosing hop character. But then again, it should already be a pretty fermentable wort with 93% basemalt and US-05 tearing through it so maybe it would dry you out too much. Well, I hope that helped...I just argued each case for you...

:D That's my dilemma! I think I'll let it go like that... I usually mash at 150-152F and even without dextrose, my beers usually end up a bit too low in body and "solvent-y" and from what I saw from the auto-siphon, it looks almost corona-esque in color. Thanks for the input guys, I'll report back in a few weeks. :ban:

Back