Copper immersion chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKBugs

Reaction score
G’day all, I picked up the above from a bloke off the net. The quality of the chiller looks pretty good but it’s got slight discoloration and marks on the copper tubing that looks a bit grubby.
I was wondering whether a boil would clean it or some mild dishwashing detergent maybe. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks
IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9003.JPG

If dishwashing detergent and mechanical scrubbing with a sponge doesn't do it, soak in PBW or the like (alkaline cleaner,) then an acid cleaner or rinse, like anything from Star San to dairy milkstone remover, or even a solution of white vinegar. The alkaline soak may turn the liquid green and the copper black. The acid soak will put everything right again. You should then have bright copper, which is actually not optimal, but is clean.

THEN: Try to avoid using any cleaners at all on it going forward. Rinse very thoroughly with hot water immediately after each use, and let it build up a passive, oxide layer on the surface -- dull red surface, like an old penny (which it already has, save for the apparent deposits you're worried about.) This won't allow reactions with anything (like your beer, or the atmosphere) and you just need to keep rinsing after use.

+1 on the above..... PBW soak, Rinse, Star San soak. Done. I always put mine in last 10 minutes before end of boil to sanitize. Just rinse off well after use.

Wash it with some dish-washing soap - A LITTLE. The next time you use it it will take on the same look. Don't waste your time trying to keep it shiny bright. In fact an oxidized layer might keep you beer from tasting metallic.

I rinse mine after use and put on the shelf. With about 15 minutes to go in the boil, I rinse again and put it in the boiling wort. Just a few minutes is enough to sanitize it.

Back