Converting to extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrhomebrew

Reaction score
I am just on my first batch of home brew. My favorite beer is Big SKY IPA. I would love to clone it or get a similar taste. As I am very new to this I am hoping someone can give me pretty clear directions on where to go for this.... I would like to go to all grain brewing eventually, but not ready.... In same sense I would like to be somewhat creative and create my own "kit". I found the whole grain recipe, can someone convert it with simple directions for a to extract? There are two recipes I found, i am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks!

12 lb 2 row
1/2 lb cry 60
1 lb cry 80
3 oz simcoe 60
1/2 oz somcoe 15
1/2 oz crystal 15
1 oz crystal 5
1 oz simcoe 5
dry hop 1/2 oz simcoe
safeale us04
boil 70 min
ferment 65
he didn't say what temp he mashed at but i would assume 153 should hit it close
o g 1.062
fg 1.014

2nd

88% pale malt
12% 75* crystal malt
total IBU 64
IBU's from simcoe 60
crystal and simcoe for flavor and aroma
fullers ale yeast
70 minute boil
153* mash
srm 18
o.g. 1.060

For starters, begin with a good background book like Complete Joy of Homebrewing or How to Brew. The first edition of How to Brew is actually online if you want to check it out first, but know that there's been quite a few updates to the newer editions so I'd still suggest getting one of the books.

Alright, now to the cloning (I'll go with the first recipe). You've got two different groups of grain, base malt (2 row) and specialty malt (crystal 60 and 80). The specialty malt you can steep so you can use the same amounts the recipe lists. Steeping implies putting the grains in a mesh bag, putting the grains in your boil kettle while you heat up the water, and pulling them out when the water reaches 170 degrees (there are plenty of ways to steep grains, but that's the easiest, feel free to search for others).

Now you just have to convert the base malt to light extract. You can use the ratio of 1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME. So the 12lbs of grain would convert to 9lb of LME (liquid malt extract) or 7.2lb of DME (dry malt extract). How much are you able to boil? I'm assuming you're not doing a full boil (although congrats if you are). If you're anything like me starting off you'll probably be boiling 2.5-3 gal and adding water in the fermenter to get to 5 gal. In that case, I'd suggest doing a "late extract edition" (you can search that for more info). Basically, add half the extract at the beginning of the boil, then add half with 15 min left in the boil to bring your gravity up (this keeps the beer from getting too dark, and lets you keep the hops the same as the recipe).

For the hops, just add them like its listed. 3oz Simcoe 60 means that you add 3oz of Simcoe at the start of a 60 min boil. From that point, you count down to 15 min, then take the pot off the burner and add the rest of the extract. Once you've got the extract mixed in, put the pot back on the burner and add the 15 min hops. Boil another 10 min, add the 5 min hops, boil 5 more minutes and cool. Toss it in a sanitized fermenter (sanitize everything that will contact the cool wort) with enough water to get to 5 gal and add your rehydrated yeast (assuming you stick with dry, if you go liquid make a starter). Once you're done fermenting (I'd let it go three weeks), you can dry hop. I prefer to just dryhop in the primary fermenter, but you can also move the beer to a secondary fermenter with the dry hops. Dry hop for 7-14 days, then bottle.

Hope that helps!

Back