Convert Recipe to PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
So I have an extract recipe for an Imperial Amber based on a Troegs Nugget Nectar clone and I want to convert it to a partial mash recipe. Can anyone give me a hand? Here is the recipe:

90 min boil:

10-11 lbs. Light DME
1 lb German Light Munich
1 lb Continental Pils or Vienna (steeping)
1/2 oz Nugget @ 60
1/4 oz Simcoe @ 30
1/2 oz Warrior @ 20
1/2 oz Tomahawk or Centennial @ Flameout
1/4 oz Palisade or Centennial @ Flameout
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 ea WLP051

Well, that recipe should be a PM already. You won't get much out of steeping Pils as the malt isn't already converted.

1 lb grain = 0.6lb DME with a 75% efficiency, more or less. How many lbs. of grain can you mash?

Well - if you are trying to save money it all depends on how much 2-row can you steep.

If you added 2 lbs of 2-row you would need 9.5oz of DME instead of 11lb

as mmb said, a lot depends on the amount of grain you can mash. Most people using the 2-gallon rubbermaid can handle ~4 lbs total, but that does vary.

I was planning on using the stove-top partial mash method from DeathBrewer's sticky, I have a 10-gal MLT in the works... perhaps I'll spend some time on completing that this weekend, but for the sake of time I was hoping to just mash in my 3-gal pot and boil in my 6-gal.

Back