Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In times like this, I turn to Adam Conover for bits of wisdom to piss people off.

But this particular segment doesn't "ruin" anything, so it's not so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeKcWCC-tw

I used to spend way too much money on wine. Last week (on vacation in Barcelona) I never spent more than 5 or 6 euros for a bottle and enjoyed every one tremendously.

Confession: I'm a *******.

I hoped to have my keezer up and running for NYE, and spent time I didnt really have that day on getting it ready. All told it was a few hours since the collar was stained sealed and mostly assembled. The kegs were naturally carbed so I just needed the gas to serve. Put on the regulator, clamped my tubing, opened the manifold valves, hooked the gas up to the keg, turned on the gas, grabbed my glass, opened the faucet and...

nothing.

Pissed around with it for a while but had to give up to get dinner ready for guests. Assumed I had a leak somewhere. Whatever, future Cheesy can deal with that.

The next day, after all that, I figured out the problem. If you want to use CO2, it's awfully helpful to have the regulator shut off valve in the ****ing OPEN POSITION.

I could blame it on being a total noob but I should have known better :eek:

Confession: I calibrate my pH meter at 65C and take the mash pH directly in the tun.

I calibrate my pH meter at 65C and take the mash pH directly in the tun.

Off topic: I confess I like the X-files reference in your name.

On Topic: I confess it has been far too long since I've brewed a batch of anything :(

Confession: I'm a *******.

I hoped to have my keezer up and running for NYE, and spent time I didnt really have that day on getting it ready. All told it was a few hours since the collar was stained sealed and mostly assembled. The kegs were naturally carbed so I just needed the gas to serve. Put on the regulator, clamped my tubing, opened the manifold valves, hooked the gas up to the keg, turned on the gas, grabbed my glass, opened the faucet and...

nothing.

Pissed around with it for a while but had to give up to get dinner ready for guests. Assumed I had a leak somewhere. Whatever, future Cheesy can deal with that.

The next day, after all that, I figured out the problem. If you want to use CO2, it's awfully helpful to have the regulator shut off valve in the ****ing OPEN POSITION.

I could blame it on being a total noob but I should have known better :eek:

Confession: I've done the same exact thing and wondered why my freshly tapped keg of DIPA wasn't pouring right. The next day, I checked everything and saw the damn check valve in the off position. OOPS!

Confession: I left the counter chiller tube where the beer travels open and not capped then used it to chill my beer... A spider and a wad of spider related YUCK! shot out into my fermenter. Only lost 6 oz of beer but what a waste!

Confession: I've done the same exact thing and wondered why my freshly tapped keg of DIPA wasn't pouring right. The next day, I checked everything and saw the damn check valve in the off position. OOPS!

Glad I'm not the only one haha.

To make matters worse, I managed to put the tail pieces together wrong (I put the seal on the wrong side of the tailpiece). Took me a few days to realize that it was dripping and to figure out what the problem was :drunk:

This thread is a bungle. My god it's amazing any of us make beer.

Yup, let alone carbonated beer...

Just found out my warm conditioning co2 setup has a leak. 5# tank is empty. Time to rip the manifold off and switch it to a single keg setup and then check for leaks. ****.

Yup, let alone carbonated beer...

Just found out my warm conditioning co2 setup has a leak. 5# tank is empty. Time to rip the manifold off and switch it to a single keg setup and then check for leaks. ****.

Discovered my co2 setup in my kegerator is leaking as well... Well... I discovered it after dispensing 1 growler of beer to take to a NYE party. My two keg setup now needs to be troubleshot to figure out which seal went bad.

confession:
we use gpl gas to the burner (but we are switching to methane) and during the boil the last brewday, we started hearing a strange sound like "psssssssssssst" and we asked ourself what was doing this sound but we don't care much about.
after ten minutes we came back and the psssst was more intensive, the boil was stopped...
the fire of the burner had laundry the hose that carries the gas from the cylinder to the burner! the "pssssst" sound was the gas escaping from the hose! when the holes became to big the burner stop!
so we were very lucky!
lesson learned, keep an eyes on the hose and keep it far from the fire

I cannot stress this enough...I confess I just like beer. As in Ale or lager with a predominate flavor of beer.

Fruit...no thanks
Sour...heck no
Coriander, lemon zest, coffee, etc...not really

In the end, it is all about well made, flavorful beer that tastes like beer.

And this also goes for over-top hops, particularly anything that can actually smell like cat pee.

I embrace your right to try these things, but stay the frack out of my brewery.

I cannot stress this enough...I confess I just like beer. As in Ale or lager with a predominate flavor of beer.

Fruit...no thanks

Sour...heck no

And this also goes for over-top hops, particularly anything that can actually smell like cat pee.

Preach!

Fruit...no thanks
Sour...heck no

I understand what you're getting at here (even though I'm guilty of going off the deep end occasionally), but I confess I can't stand when I share homebrew and that's the response that I get.

Me: So how do you like that IPA?
Other: Tastes like beer.
Me: Neat. What about that imperial stout?
Me: Ok...how about that triple decoction Pilsner?
Me: You're the worst imaginary friend I've ever had.

I understand what you're getting at here (even though I'm guilty of going off the deep end occasionally), but I confess I can't stand when I share homebrew and that's the response that I get.

Me: So how do you like that IPA?
Me: Neat. What about that imperial stout?
Me: Ok...how about that triple decoction Pilsner?
Me: You're the worst imaginary friend I've ever had.

Beef...many shades from hamburger to brisket to petite filet.

None are made better by A1. Few can be made better by a Mango Chutney...on the side. A rub is good but slathered in sauce says I am the Natural Light of beef here.

Again, I applaud those that like to experiment beyond Bitters, pale ales, milds, Pilsners, weizens, bocks, etc. I personally only use those styles to describe to others what my beer is (some of the time). All that said, if it is "augmented" beer I have yet to enjoy it. Even Christmas beers that should marginally fit into my narrow view of beer...have not had but one I liked.

Beef...many shades from hamburger to brisket to petite filet.

None are made better by A1. Few can be made better by a Mango Chutney...on the side. A rub is good but slathered in sauce says I am the Natural Light of beef here.

Again, I applaud those that like to experiment beyond Bitters, pale ales, milds, Pilsners, weizens, bocks, etc. I personally only use those styles to describe to others what my beer is (some of the time). All that said, if it is "augmented" beer I have yet to enjoy it. Even Christmas beers that should marginally fit into my narrow view of beer...have not had but one I liked.

Du fuq? Sall beer bro. Brrr. Brewha. If all you got left in the fridge is a quadroimperialsourdiesel that's whaat yA drink.
[emoji12] giggity

Discovered my co2 setup in my kegerator is leaking as well... Well... I discovered it after dispensing 1 growler of beer to take to a NYE party. My two keg setup now needs to be troubleshot to figure out which seal went bad.

Confession: i may be super "special." Just saw that my tank was shut off. Makes sense why the pressure keeps decreasing. :banghead:

Fruit...no thanks
Sour...heck no

#GaryOakLives

Just kidding. I'm OK with experimentation, as long as the brewer knows what every component adds and puts it there for a reason. Anyone can make a barrel-aged sour coffee blackberry habañero stout, but to make it in such a way that all of those ingredients are noticeable and balanced is a challenge.

In my own brewing, I'd rather have a strong "main" recipe that is complemented by additives (if there are any at all), but I can't fault anyone who likes to use adjuncts.

I made bread the other day and forgot to activate the dry yeast before kneading it into the dough. Took a long time to rise and still ended up being denser than it should.

My pipeline is running low, and I didn't want to get caught beer-less over the holiday weekend when beer stores are closed. But I'm too cheap to buy 4 days' worth of craft beer. So yesterday, I bought a 28-pack of Coors Lite tall boys.

What's a "Coors Lite"?

What's a "Coors Lite"?

Assuming you're picking on my spelling, touché. I assumed they'd used a bastardized spelling of "light" so they could trademark it, but as it turns out, they do indeed just call it "Coors Light."

If you meant something else, well... you lost me. Please expound.

Fruit...no thanks
Sour...heck no

I confess..I couldn't have said it better myself. :mug:

Do it. Hump that notify button like it's prom night!

QypPGcv.gif

;)

One of the most hilarious challanges to BS I have seen in a while...laughing out loud is a rarity with the BS I regularly have to deal with - and you gave me a healthy dose...

It is Friday, it has been a hard week and I needed that!!:)
(now raising a glass of my most recent Galaxy / Citra / Simcoe IPA to you Slym)

Thank you!

My first brew was yesterday, so I don't have much experience to lead to confessions...but in the spirit of admitting to our "mistakes", let's dissect my first brew problems

-Couldn't get the wort to boil on my stove top, had to split into 2 pots and cover one partially with a lid
-Found out my wort chiller didn't fit any of the faucets in my house (even with the adapter), had to run my garden hose through my side door to my kitchen.
-Misplaced the exit tube for my wort chiller causing very hot water to pour out over my foot and all over the floor
- Dropped the grommet for the lid into my chilled wort, had to retrieve with my "sanitized" arm
-Gave up on rehydrating my yeast, so pitched dry over the foam.

After all that though my OG was spot on, wort tasted great, and have had positive fermentation throughout the day

I'll take that as a win

CONGRATS! I run the garden hose to the counter chiller in the house too and I pitch dry yeast without rehydrating all the time. A win? I'll say!

Back