Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but this beer actually isn't for me. It wasn't exactly a tiny spider either so I'm not taking any chances. Don't want anyone dying off my beer. Bad for business.

Its a coincidence that I saw a spider in my wort during full boil. Saw it once tried to fetch it out but it sank and I didn't see it again. Going keg that beer next week. If you can put oysters in beer a spider certainly won't hurt.

Yeah but this beer actually isn't for me. It wasn't exactly a tiny spider either so I'm not taking any chances. Don't want anyone dying off my beer. Bad for business.

If people can eat fried spiders, you can serve one that's been boiled in your wort.

No idea what that's going to do to your carbonation/head retention, however.

I'm switching from BIAB to two coolers and thinking it will be easier and/or make better beer. I think fly sparging will be something I enjoy for years until jumping back to BIAB.

I'm switching from BIAB to two coolers and thinking it will be easier and/or make better beer. I think fly sparging will be something I enjoy for years until jumping back to BIAB.

Can you explain why you think it will be easier or make better beer? How would the way you separate the wort from the grain make the beer better or worse?

Brew on :mug:

Well, bought a Fastferment but no floor stand, decided to use it for a batch to be served at my wedding. Venue and other factors just meant it wasn't going to happen so its a month later and still sitting in a lowes bucket because I haven't got around to installing the wall bracket. Doing that tomorrow and finally kegging it by Friday....hope that collection ball at least somewhat works.

Check out the all grain threads. Your method of extraction CAN change the beer a bit...

Been there (and other sites as well), done that, and have yet to see any empirical (as opposed to theoretical or anecdotal) evidence that the way you separate the wort from the grain makes any difference in beer quality. If you can point to any empirical evidence, feel free to do so. Remember, I'm talking lauter methods, not mashing techniques. You can do step mashes, decoctions, etc. with BIAB, just like with three vessel.

Been there (and other sites as well), done that, and have yet to see any empirical (as opposed to theoretical or anecdotal) evidence that the way you separate the wort from the grain makes any difference in beer quality. If you can point to any empirical evidence, feel free to do so. Remember, I'm talking lauter methods, not mashing techniques. You can do step mashes, decoctions, etc. with BIAB, just like with three vessel.

WHAT!?! How DARE you, sir! My overly complicated seven step, two hour sparge methods and I have tones of empirical evidence to back it up!

-OR NOT!​

Agreed, I hit my efficiency every time with BIAB, one vessel and use tepid water to rinse the grain if I need to make up the volume.

I wash my beer glasses with soap and water. And then I add a secret one-step process: rinse well with hot water. Never have any problems with head retention. I'm a genius.

I wash my beer glasses with soap and water. And then I add a secret one-step process: rinse well with hot water. Never have any problems with head retention. I'm a genius.

I throw my beer glasses in the dishwasher with the rest of my dishes. Never had head retention issues either. Then again, this dishwasher has never seen/touched a rinse aid. Everything comes out spotless.

I was in fact, thinking of fly sparging vs batch sparging, vorlauf vs not, etc.

I hope your new fly sparge works out great, I have friends who swear by it!

I was in fact, thinking of fly sparging vs batch sparging, vorlauf vs not, etc.

I hope your new fly sparge works out great, I have friends who swear by it!

I BIAB and can both fly sparge and vorlauf. My bag is a super fine mesh and can hold an inch of water above the grain while still letting out water. If I roll the grain in the bag it comes out faster. I also crush pretty fine so I'm thinking I just coat the bag with grain "mud".

Confession: I don't take SG any more or write down recipes. I started super meticulous in my record keeping and now I that I have my system down and a handful of recipes I enjoy I just fly by the seat of my pants.

Even though I read about brewers/breweries freaking out about cross contamination, I have a load of jars of captured yeast and bacteria in my kegerator alongside the commercial yeast jars. I will do something with them one day I promise myself often and then I go ahead and brew another pale ale.

I don't care about making beers "to style". If I want a blueberry jalapeño black ipa I'll make it and style be dammed.

I use Walmart spring water.

I make my 10 year old daughter sample every beer I make. She's getting pretty good at describing the various flavors.

I usually tell my brother in law that I don't have any beer ready to drink, even though I have 2 kegs tapped and 1 chilling.

I don't have her chug a whole beer, just a sip at bottling time from the hydrometer sample. She thinks she's big time drinking daddy's beer!

Right now. I helped bury a child this weekend (a friends) and just finished a full series of a favorite tv series (Inspector Morse). My kids are in their beds. My brain is full of vodka, but thankful that Yahweh is faithful for His promises.

12310520_10156241076625207_3769281771745227286_n.jpg

I think the whole sanitize, sanitize, sanitize! thing online is like some kind of cult! :D I honestly roll my eyes when i see it stressed so much. Its not that hard or scary people!

Instead i think we should all start chanting - Patience, patience, patience!

I think the whole sanitize, sanitize, sanitize! thing online is like some kind of cult! :D I honestly roll my eyes when i see it stressed so much. Its not that hard or scary people!

I have to completely agree, when I first started the hobby I was like oh..ok..I get it but now it drives me nuts to read every other day about sanitation. :goat:

I will admit that my sanitization practice is now pretty much a spray bottle of starsan.

Today I neglected to pre-chill a bottled homebrew that just finished carbonating and opened it. When 3/4 ended up on the floor I remembered. The part that made it into my glass wasn't bad though. Maybe I need more practice bottling.

I will admit that my sanitization practice is now pretty much a spray bottle of starsan.

Today I neglected to pre-chill a bottled homebrew that just finished carbonating and opened it. When 3/4 ended up on the floor I remembered. The part that made it into my glass wasn't bad though. Maybe I need more practice bottling.

You remebered what exactly?

Me too... a few spritzes in each bottle, dump those out into the fermentor, shake up what is in the fermentor, dump that into a container for my spoons/thermometer/etc...

:mug:

You remebered what exactly?

Throw bottle conditioned beers in the fridge for a day or so before opening to ensure that carbonation stays in solution better and the yeast layer at the bottom compacts a bit. I grabbed this one out of my garage and opened it directly. Kinda wish I had a video of it happening. It was probably pretty funny to watch.

I've been wondering about this lately. Thinking about trying brewing with just well cleaned equipment .
Dude you need to get on the map !

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/map-of-homebrewers.html

I've been wondering about this lately. Thinking about trying brewing with just well cleaned equipment .
Dude you need to get on the map !

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/map-of-homebrewers.html

I would suggest still sanitizing stuff post boil and pre-fermentation complete at a minimal level. I do not bother with anything post boil because it is just silly.

That said, I just spritz most things with Star San and I almost never disassemble stuff.

Back