Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My measurements for pellet hops are dividing the 1oz packet into even sections on a cutting board...

Your "measurement" technique seems sound. ...but I'm confused about the need to divide a measly 1 oz packet. All hop measurements round up to the nearest ounce, so what's to divide? :)

I use a scale, but I weigh out of 1 lb bags.

My confession: When it is hot, I put my beer glass in the freezer. Oh nooooooo!

Also, I confess that I peruse this thread for shortcuts that I can apply to my process. Keep 'em coming.

Your "measurement" technique seems sound. ...but I'm confused about the need to divide a measly 1 oz packet. All hop measurements round up to the nearest ounce, so what's to divide? :)

I use a scale, but I weigh out of 1 lb bags.

My confession: When it is hot, I put my beer glass in the freezer. Oh nooooooo!

Also, I confess that I peruse this thread for shortcuts that I can apply to my process. Keep 'em coming.

I do 2.5 gallon batches with a typical 16-20IBU, so a 5%AA hop only gets .25 ounce at bittering and .25 for flavor

I realize I never ever stir the wort before tossing yeast in.
I just fill up with water, take SG and dump yeast.

Guess this could explain why my SG is usually just slightly off and never on target!

I realize I never ever stir the wort before tossing yeast in.
I just fill up with water, take SG and dump yeast.

Guess this could explain why my SG is usually just slightly off and never on target!

Dude, that could explain a lot. Wort aeration is like one of the most important steps (if that's what you're talking about). You should start shaking the carboy a bunch before pitching.

Dude, that could explain a lot. Wort aeration is like one of the most important steps (if that's what you're talking about). You should start shaking the carboy a bunch before pitching.

I think he's talking about stirring his partial boil batch after he tops off with water, which explain a low OG.

Based on recommendations here, I asked the grocery store for a used food grade frosting bucket for grain storage. They gave me a bucket of purple butter cream that had a small amount stuck to the sides. I confess that I took a lick.

I sanitize with tap water don't own a hdrometer or a thermometer don't make starters or rehydrate lager at ale temps and never ever use an airlock, I always have good cold home brewed beer.

Just found this thread!

I don't clean my fermenters. I forget about them after bottling. I'll find them a week or two later. Dump in a scoop of oxyclean and leave them filled w water til I need them again.

Also, I gave up on taking gravity readings.

Also I love PBR and Banquet Beer.

I confess I Just found out about this thread! And here i've been pouring my soul out on the "you know you're a home brewer when" thread....

I never follow a recipe, I dont check temperature, i always mash too short because i get bored.

After railing at my brother in law for a year about how he doesnt own a hydrometer. .. I havnt checked my final gravity for my last two batches....

I think he's talking about stirring his partial boil batch after he tops off with water, which explain a low OG.

I typically dump the wort into the bucket on top of a gallon of water.
I then use the faucet spray head to fill up the bucket with water.

I feel this mixes enough.
I haven't stirred my last 3 batches!
That may change next batch!

I never make starters. I always take yeast from the fermenter or the keg and pitch it in new batch. 36 hours has been the longest I've waited to see action. This was from yeast that sat in the fridge for 3 months. All my beer has been great.

I never make starters. I always take yeast from the fermenter or the keg and pitch it in new batch. 36 hours has been the longest I've waited to see action. This was from yeast that sat in the fridge for 3 months. All my beer has been great.

The lies...OAH the lies...[emoji16]

After a night eating smoked sausage, and drinking home brewed IPA's, my farts really smell horrible! No matter what I tell the wife.

:goat:

I consider the stench a gift, the result of good beer & good food!

I tell my wife that due to marriage she is legally entitled to 1/2 the stench!

That's gonna backfire, you know. That means you are legally entitled to half the gross stuff she may go through.

;)

My first day working in a brewery, the Brewer at the time had to move his car because it was snowing out side and asked me to watch the mill during his mash in.. He took longer than expected and I didn't want the mill to run dry so I added a bag of grain that I thought was supposed to go in. Using initiative right? Wrong.. The blonde ale that was supposed to be made was now far too dark. Did I just ruin 40 BBLs of beer? We ended up making it into a pale ale single hopped with summit. This happened three years ago and they're still brewing that recipe regularly! [emoji41]

Mash cycle was ending and somehow I totally forgot to set up the sparge water. I ended up using hot tap water from the spray-hose - directly into the tun

/lazyass

How'd it turn out?

Just fine. I almost exclusively use hot tap water rather than heating sparge water.

Since my HLT and kettle are the same thing, it's a bit of a pain to heat it, then transfer it in a different bucket / pot / something while I drain the tun before I can begin sparging. So I just don't most of the time.

I have heard that it is not really all that necessary to preheat your sparge water. All having it hot really does since extraction/conversion should be complete is to help speed the time it takes to bring the wort to a boil. Haven't done it myself, though I usually am not too worried with the exact temperature of my sparge water.

I confess that the vast majority of my bottling and sanitation practices occur merely 6 feet away from where my cat does her business. Haven't noticed any ill sight effects yet. But the concept does gross some people out.

I have heard that it is not really all that necessary to preheat your sparge water. All having it hot really does since extraction/conversion should be complete is to help speed the time it takes to bring the wort to a boil. Haven't done it myself, though I usually am not too worried with the exact temperature of my sparge water.

I might try this next brew. ...

How'd it turn out?

Not bad actually. In fact, I liked the result better than some batches I'd done (same recipe) using Spring Water.
Granted, this was late winter so the local water wasn't bombed with chlorides and chemicals and such that is common down here in TX.

this makes sense from a practicality standpoint. All you're really doing is rinsing the grains to pull out as much of the conversion as possible

Same thing happened to me the last two brew cycles, I had completely forgotten to heat the "sparge" water (I BIAB and just pour the water over the bag while its in a bucket dripping) and used the water from the hose through a filter instead. The beer just went into the secondary (really a corny, I like to move my beer off the yeast after the gravity stabilizes and into a corny with a spunding valve to finish the fermentation) and it tasted very good.

this makes sense from a practicality standpoint. All you're really doing is rinsing the grains to pull out as much of the conversion as possible

One would think though that hot water would loosen up the sugars and make them more easily rinsable, no? Sure makes a difference when it's time to scrub off wort from stuff.

One would think though that hot water would loosen up the sugars and make them more easily rinsable, no? Sure makes a difference when it's time to scrub off wort from stuff.

When did this turn into a technical forum? :p

But to continue with the :off: discussion: You don't really need to "loosen up" the sugars when sparging. The sugars are all in solution when they are created. Stirring is very important for a batch sparge to get the sparged wort to a uniform concentration. The wort remaining in the grain gets really diluted during the sparge, so the viscosity drops a lot, which makes draining easier.

Brew on :mug:

Back