Compare Dortmunder recipes - trying to copy Great Lakes Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I have found 3 Dortmunder recipes and am wondering which one may be the closest in taste to Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold.
Looking for input - as I'm not sure how to read recipes to understand variations and how the differences will taste.

Thanks for any input.

Here are the recipes:
Dortmunder Recipe.pdf
BLATZ DORTMUNDER GOLD.pdf
Tasty's Dortmunder.pdf

Attachments

• Dortmunder Recipe.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 254
  • BLATZ DORTMUNDER GOLD.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Tasty's Dortmunder.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 161
Getting the water profile right will be critical for matching the taste. I'm guessing there's a lot of sulfate.

GLBC lists these ingredients:
Malt: Harrington 2-row and Crystal 60
Hops: Willamette and Mt. Hood.
30 IBU, 5.8% ABV

I think it used to be Willamette and Cascade. Not sure when that changed.
It's obviously dry-hopped.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I tried to find a recipe for this a while back and wasn't very successful. I ended up going with this, which tasted more like a traditional dortmunder, which I don't really care for, than Dortmonder Gold, which I like:

95% 2 row
2.5% c-60
2.5% dextrose

.5 cascade - 60 min
.75 mt hood - 60 min
.5 mt. hood - 10 min
.5 cascade - 5 min

WLP830

Hi @rkhanso I moved this to the Recipes forum, from the Recipe Database. The database is for tried-and-true recipes, so after you find the Dortmunder recipe you like, try it a few times, then go ahead and post it there.

Here's a recipe for Dortmunder that I've made and won a silver medal https://singingboysbrewing.com/dortmunder-export Its not a clone, but just to give you an idea and something to compare to. I love the Dortmunder (or Helles Exportbier as the BJCP now calls it) style.

Hi @rkhanso I moved this to the Recipes forum, from the Recipe Database. The database is for tried-and-true recipes, so after you find the Dortmunder recipe you like, try it a few times, then go ahead and post it there.

Here's a recipe for Dortmunder that I've made and won a silver medal https://singingboysbrewing.com/dortmunder-export Its not a clone, but just to give you an idea and something to compare to. I love the Dortmunder (or Helles Exportbier as the BJCP now calls it) style.
Do you have notes about the water profile?

Latest posts

Back