Coming back to my favorite hobby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanBrew

Reaction score
It's been over 10 years since I've brewed a batch of beer, but the bug has bitten hard again and I'm in the process of digging everything out and getting set back up.

I started brewing before I was of legal age to consume the product, lol. I was pretty die-hard for about 10 years before getting out of it. A combination of a too busy life and an unsupportive wife (ex) ended my run.

In the short-term, I'm going to use my old all-grain setup, with a couple of minor modifications. I'd been direct heating (electric) a 10 gallon kettle as a mash-tun, but I'm going to swap that out for a 10gal cooler running a HERMS loop through the HLT.

Longer term, I really want to move to a half-barrel setup. One of the things that got me frustrated before getting out of the hobby was the amount of time I put in to get 5 gallons. 15 would make me much happier :)

My best (and most popular) recipes were a Scotch ale, a Kolsch, and a wheat beer, but I also enjoyed my oatmeal stout, pale ale, and Pilsner style lager (ala Pilsner Urquell).

My goal is to be set back up and brew my first batch the last weekend of August. I'm planning to have a go at a Bell's Amber clone for the re-inaugeration.

I look forward to posting progress and getting feedback!

Eric

Welcome back. There's something about fermenting drink that you just can't walk away from forever. I made wine till about age 30. Then gave up on that to finish raising a family & retire. About 3 years ago we got to researching how home brewed beer was done nowadays. Haven't looked back since.

I pulled the trigger today on all new lines, stainless disconnects, MLT parts, and the real grin getter: a new burner and Blichmann Tower of Power controller, lol. Yeah, I'd say I'm back in!

I can't wait to get this stuff. When I do, I'll post a new thread in one of the other more appropriate sections. I know what I'm putting together won't begin to compare to some of the incredible setups I'm seeing around here, but I'm still pretty excited about it :)

Back