Cold Crashing without larger container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bananas_Gorilla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to move my lager from it's secondary fermenter to the bottles to carbonate. I'll be adding gelatin in before I bottle but I understand that cold crashing may be needed to clarify the beer.

I haven't large enough refridgerator space, don't have any large buckets or containers (nor can I source any in a realistic area) and there is currently a heatwave so I'm thinking of ideas to cold crash the beer. I have frozen some large ice cubes and had intended on sticking them in a sanitised plastic bag in the secondary and leave it to chill to 45F-7C if possible. Would this work do you think or would you advise to just use gelatin and bottle?

That would help cool it some but I doubt you could get it anywhere near 45F with that method. It also increases the chance of infection and oxidation. If you can't find a barrel, ice chest, or dig a pit, I'd just bottle as-is and choose to enjoy it.

If you can't find a barrel, ice chest, or dig a pit, I'd just bottle as-is and choose to enjoy it.

What bleme said. I’ve bottled and kegged beers of various styles with out cold crashing or fining and they all turned out good to great. I always use Irish moss or whirlfloc. The last two beers I cold crashed and used Gelatin and while they may be clearer, I don’t think they taste any better.

I'd bottle it, let them carb up for 2 or 3 weeks, and then bottle-lager them in the fridge. Put 6 at a time in there and give them 2 weeks at the coldest part of the fridge before you enjoy them.

If your bottling no need to cold crash. Only benifit to cold crashing is less yeast in suspension which will equate to just a hair less yeast at the bottom of each bottle after you bottle carb n condition.

Latest posts

Back