Coffee on nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI for anybody reading this thread and interested in doing this:

-if you want the cascading effect (like Guiness), you must use beer gas. This is a nitrogen/carbon dioxide blend. The CO2 is what causes the cascade, not the nitrogen. You must also use a stout faucet with the gas pressure set high...like 35#.

-If you want to serve on tap cold-served/brewed coffee without the cascade or foam, you should use 100% Nitrogen. The Nitrogen will not be absorbed in the coffee, therefore will not cause foaming. With this setup, you can use a standard faucet, and your regulator should be set much lower....like the 8-15# range.

For both these setups, you will need a nitrogen regulator, or you will have to convert a CO2 regulator for nitrogen bottles....they are different styles of threads.

Question to the people who have tasted the coffee on nitro: does the cold brew taste any different after it's been sitting on beer gas (70/30)?

I would presume at 30+ psi some of the (30%) CO2 would eventually absorb into the coffee. Does it become lightly carbonated? Is there a carbonic acid taste? (I've noticed this off flavor when serving plain water with beer gas even as low as 5 psi after a couple days) Does the stout faucet's restrictor plate force out the CO2 while it's being dispensed?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Hey everyone, is there a final verdict with the PSI of beergas for cascading but not carbonation? We are able to get cascading after about 1 day at 30psi (38 degree cooler) of 75%nitrogen/25%co2, but the coffee tasted carbonated. We tried connecting a cold brew keg directly to beer gas without letting it rest for a day and its coming out without cascading (100% flat) but it still has a pretty acidic carbonation bite. It makes me think the PSI is too high or the blend is too co2 heavy, but according to everyone whose done it succesfully, neither the PSI or co2 ratio is too high. The only solution I can think of is blast it with some gas to carbonate and connect to straight nitrogen.

By the way...carbonated coffee tastes like shyyyte

Any time you use the beergas 70/30 mix you will end up carbing the beverage, the cascade is coming from that carb as it gets forced through that restrictor plate. Sure a lot of that carb gets knocked out of suspension but some is still definately there. You can't really have one without the other.

Thanks for the reply Paps, definitely agree with you...it just seems ours is getting more carbonation than other nitro cold brews I've tried. It seems like it has too many volumes of CO2 but if that was the case when we connect a keg and immediately start pouring we should be getting cascading...but we seem to be getting carbonation off-tastes without cascading leading me to believe there is something else we are doing wrong.

Reading online it seems people are getting the cascade effect without using beergas and just nitrogen.

nitrogen doesn't reallyabsorb into fluids, if it did then people would probably be using it vs co2.
The cascading happens when co2 is forced out of suspension at very high pressure using the small holes of the restrictor plate making smaller bubbles.
If there is no co2 to begin with it cannot be forced out of solution, because there is none there to begin with. It would be like trying to make a rock bleed by striking it.....it just aint gunna happen.

You guys are wrong about this "it won't cascade without CO2" thing.

A setup with pure nitrogen, at 45 psi and with a stout faucet, will get you the cascading effect you desire. The key is that the nitrogen has to be well-mixed with the kegged coffee —*this may be possible through conditioning, but in my cafe we simply hook up the nitro, bleed out any oxygen and then agitate the crap out of the keg. It's worth noting that the cascade is more than a visual effect —*the active nitrogen ending up in the customer's beverage promotes a cleaner aftertaste and fuller body, which is pretty crazy, since nitrogen has no flavor; this means the nitrogen is fooling your taste buds into *perceiving* the flavors differently, which is just nuts.

There is no benefit to adding CO2 (in any amount) to a keg of coffee, since oxygen (the "O") degrades the flavor of brewed coffee in short order; also, who wants fizzy coffee?

Thanks Kaffehaus, we're going to try to use nitrogen and a carbonating stone to see if that will do the trick. Appreciate it!

FYI for anybody reading this thread and interested in doing this:

-if you want the cascading effect (like Guiness), you must use beer gas. This is a nitrogen/carbon dioxide blend. The CO2 is what causes the cascade, not the nitrogen. You must also use a stout faucet with the gas pressure set high...like 35#.

This is just not true. I have tried it with both beergas and pure nitrogen. beergas was maybe a bit stronger cascade but will ruin the coffee very very quickly.

There is no benefit to adding CO2 (in any amount) to a keg of coffee, since oxygen (the "O") degrades the flavor of brewed coffee in short order; also, who wants fizzy coffee?

That is a ridiculous statement. The O in CO2 does not degrade the coffee...just like it doesnt degrade the beer or soda that it is put into because it is not breaking down into carbon and oxygen inside the beverage. Where did you formulate that idea? Where did you get that co2 causes degradation?

Do it however you want, but my results were with nitrogen, which didnt cascade, then and beer gas which did...and absolutely did not cause "fizzy" beer. Just like any beer that is on nitro is not fizzy.

Hi everyone,

I'm in Australia and just charged my cornelius keg with 100% nitro at 20psi.. Should I increase that to 45psi and leave it charged for a couple of days?

What psi would you serve it through the taps at? And would you use beer gas?

Hi everyone,

I'm in Australia and just charged my cornelius keg with 100% nitro at 20psi.. Should I increase that to 45psi and leave it charged for a couple of days?

What psi would you serve it through the taps at? And would you use beer gas?

Hi everyone, I am in Austin, TX and have Cuvee Black and Blue on tap in a 5 gallon setup with 100% Nitrogen at around 30 PSI. Works great for me as long as you have a good stout faucet.
Anybody else use Cuvee or Stumptown cold brew kegs?

(I have done Cuvee in my office and now at home, going to definitely start looking at my homebrew options as well!)

Hi everyone, I am in Austin, TX and have Cuvee Black and Blue on tap in a 5 gallon setup with 100% Nitrogen at around 30 PSI. Works great for me as long as you have a good stout faucet.

Anybody else use Cuvee or Stumptown cold brew kegs?

(I have done Cuvee in my office and now at home, going to definitely start looking at my homebrew options as well!)

Do you get any cascading bubbles and creamy head with no CO2 to come out of solution? Or are you just pouring basic iced coffee?

If so (Guinness-like), how long do you leave in on pure Nitrogen before creamy cascading happens?

Id love to see this thread back open, I purchased all the necessary gear to serve nitro coffee. I choice to use beer gas because I was really wanting to have a rich creamy head. I've gotten pointers from individuals that are familiar with this process and they assured me that the coffee would last a couple weeks with no off flavor. They were wrong. Within 24 hours the coffee had a very distinct acidic taste ( im sure due to the co2). Before I go and try to trade my newly purchased beer gas tank for a 100% nitrogen tank I want to be for certain I can get the same cascading and creamy head using pure nitrogen. Has any one had a personal experience??

I've been doing this for a while on my home setup so I thought that I would add my two cents.

There are a lot of nitro threads on this site, and a lot of misinformation out there regarding the chemistry. As others have said in this thread, to my knowledge, nitrogen bubbles are not able to go "into solution" in water (nitrogen is inert and thus insoluble in H20). CO2 is soluble in water as carbonic acid, hence why it changes the flavor to be more acidic. Bubbles are all about pressure differentials. CO2 is able to go into solution at atmospheric pressure a little bit (think acid rain) but at the pressures we keg at, once the liquid is poured into atmospheric pressure, the gas will come out of solution.

The best analogy I can think of here with nitrogen is that it is like hydraulic fluid. Since it is inert, it will push the liquid without changing the taste. This is why people use nitrogen (100% blends) for wine.

Coming back to the heart of this thread, as others have stated, the reason why you need the stout faucet is to knock gases that are in solution, out of solution faster (in this case C02). The restrictor plate that is contained within the nozzle has small holes that accomplish this. The faucet will pour at beer serving pressures, but if you have stout on there, you will not see the cascading effect, you need to push the beer through at higher pressures in order for the bubbles to come out like that and not just be beer foam that dissipates quickly (I highly encourage people to experiment with different pressures on the stout faucet to get an idea about how it works)

Ok, so I think I've dealt with that part as to what I know. Now I'm gonna "armchair" it a bit to come up with a hypothesis as to why people are getting bubbles with 100% nitrogen. My guess is that in the coffee that you keg in there has some C02 in solution when you keg it (after all the water you used to brew it was not degassed), and depending on how much it got aerated when you filtered the coffee or if the water was aerated out of the faucet, you could get "some" C02 in there that you are knocking out of solution. Additionally, the keg has some headspace with air, and the high N2 pressures on the top of it might force C02 into the keg if you don't purge the headspace after you fill it.

I think the key here is that "beer gas mix" (usually 70 N/30 C02) formulations are meant for, you guessed it, beer. The basic idea there is replicating air pumped cask ale, which has low but substantial amounts of C02, where the C02 gets out of solution, but there is still a fair amount of carbonation left in your glass as you drink it (i.e the beverage is not totally still). That lets the bar keep the nitro beer on tap with the same C02 volume for a long time.

So, finally; my anecdotes and what I think will solve the problems. I too have a nitro set up and have noticed that my cold brew does get more acidic in the keg (I use a 70/30 mix), and I've kept it around for a couple of weeks in the kegerator. It does stay fresh for that long, but the taste does change. I'm not super picky and I'm not trying to sell it, so I put up with the slightly tangy flavor near the end. So, we need some CO2 in solution to get the cool cascade effect, but not enough that we change the flavor of the coffee, as people now at least don't like more acidic coffee (cold brew actually has less acid, so they might cancel out, but I digress). I think the solution is to get a better gas blend, I'm thinking somewhere in the 90/10 or 95/5 range. Its been a while for me (to do the calculations), but we should figure out a range of partial CO2 pressures that will work for the cascading effect, and what kind of mixes we need for that so that if we serve at 30-40psi, we will get that volume of C02 in solution.

Now if you're thinking of selling it, you might be able to negotiate with a gas supplier to get a custom mix. Maybe that will make the coffee thing work better. For us homebrew people, we might be in trouble. I live in Seattle, and I'm lucky here that they sell a variety of mixtures to us plebs, but that may not be the case everywhere. The best way I can think of to get around this would be to have 2 kegs (1 big like a 1/2bbl sankey, and 1 small like 3 gal corny) keep the big one on 100% nitrogen, and transfer cold brew through lines to the small one when its empty. The small one would be pushed on a 70/30 mix through a stout faucet to serve. Then you could keep coffee cascading fresh without it developing off taste.

Thanks, and I hope we can all figure out the best way to do this.

TLDR
You need CO2 for cascade effect. Having less CO2 in the beer gas mix will reduce off, acidic flavors. Setting up a two-keg system could alleviate gas mix issues if run properly.

Edit: I just checked gas solubilities

CO2 =~3.2g of CO2 gas per Kg of H20 at 40 degrees F.
N =~0.028 g of N2 per Kg H20 at 40 degrees F. So C02 is roughly 35 times more soluble in water than nitrogen.

Before I go and try to trade my newly purchased beer gas tank for a 100% nitrogen tank I want to be for certain I can get the same cascading and creamy head using pure nitrogen. Has any one had a personal experience??

Some on this thread have `claimed` that they did,
HOWEVER,
None of them have posted actual proof that they have.
No videos of cascade on nitro only.
Not even a picture of it.
As i mentioned before i beleive the cascade is caused by CO2
UNDER HIGH PRESSURE BEING FORCED THROUGH A RESTRICTOR PLATE...oops, sorry caps....anywho, without co2 i just don't think it's possible.

Your beergas tank and a 100% nitrogen tank however happen to be the same gear,meaning that you could just have it re-filled but with 100% nitro instead of beergas with no worries as the equipment is the same.(a beergas tank/regulator are the same as an all nitro one)
-cheers

You guys are wrong about this "it won't cascade without CO2" thing.

A setup with pure nitrogen, at 45 psi and with a stout faucet, will get you the cascading effect you desire. The key is that the nitrogen has to be well-mixed with the kegged coffee —*this may be possible through conditioning, but in my cafe we simply hook up the nitro, bleed out any oxygen and then agitate the crap out of the keg. It's worth noting that the cascade is more than a visual effect —*the active nitrogen ending up in the customer's beverage promotes a cleaner aftertaste and fuller body, which is pretty crazy, since nitrogen has no flavor; this means the nitrogen is fooling your taste buds into *perceiving* the flavors differently, which is just nuts.

I'm going to retract the above statement, slightly. First off, I can assure you that the cascading effect IS POSSIBLE w/out the CO2. However, *possible* doesn't mean easy or consistent, and without a large amount of refrigeration space to store kegs of coffee and allow the nitrogen to get thoroughly mixed with the liquid (days, if not weeks), extreme agitation is the only way to do it. And, well, my arms got too tired.

CO2 does affect the flavor of the coffee, no question. (As to the poster above who balks at the notion based on beer, he does not understand the volatile nature of brewed coffee at all.) However, the high-end coffee retailers who have "nitro cold brew" on tap are generally either a.) using a CO2/Nitro mix and betting that the mouthfeel will balance out any increased acidity brought on by the CO2 changing the coffee, or b.) using pure nitrogen and losing the cascade/mouthfeel effect.

IOW, there's a compromise: Get the mouthfeel through beer gas and deal with volatile, inconsistent flavors (most customers won't notice it, or will enjoy the mouthfeel & effect so much that flavor perception diminishes), or get the purer flavor with pure nitrogen but lose the aesthetic bonus of the cascade froth. At my cafe —*where I sell through 2-3 3gal kegs of iced coffee every day —*we chose the purer, not-as-sexy route. But either one is valid, and there are increasing number of examples of each out there in the marketplace.

Local coffee shop (Novo, Denver, CO) poured me what I think we're looking for last week and I ordered a keg which arrives today. I have a stout faucet, CO2, nitro, and beer gas all ready to make this work. I'll be trying the 100% nitro at ~40 psi first.

oVcc0Au.jpg

CO2 does affect the flavor of the coffee, no question. (As to the poster above who balks at the notion based on beer.

If your post is directed at me i suggest you re-read what i typed.
I made no argument regarding if CO2 affects the flavor/bite of coffee either for or against. My argument solely pertains to achieving a cascading affect and has nothing to do with `if CO2 adds bite/acididy flavors or not.`

Hey All:

Hoping I can help shed some light on this discussion with the caveat that we're still in testing. However, we've gotten some very encouraging results.

We're currently working with a coffee shop to R&D nitro cold brew for both mobile applications (they often do catering and sell at fairs/farmer's markets) and as a moveable behind-the-counter solution. This shop hasn't done nitro coffee yet, but would like to ASAP. I can't say that we've developed expertise, but I think we've found a process that that is delivering consistent quality.

Our Setup
We're using a fairly standard short-draw system (5' 3/16" ID beer line) on 100% nitrogen with a Corny keg. We chose this for two reasons: 1) the coffee shop owner did not want to alter the taste of the coffee and found that the CO2 added a bitterness that was unpleasant; and 2) we're using a small (1.5lb/6cuft) tank that easily fits into our existing PortaBeer mobile draft platform. Note that it's very difficult to get a true 75/25 mixture in a tank under 20# (I strongly suggest you test your gas if you've heard otherwise from your suppliers).

We're using cold brew coffee with no particular unique characteristics. Nothing else is being added to the coffee. We're pouring 5 gallons into each keg. Additionally, we're refrigerating the keg for approximately 24 hours after filling the kegs (roughly 34 degrees) before we're testing.

Our Results
We've successfully poured the following:
  • Still iced coffee - This can be poured at 3-6 psi on pure nitrogen (or pure CO2 if the keg is going to go quickly, <8 hours). It can also be poured on high-pressure nitrogen through a stout faucet at 30+ psi, but there is no cascade/head to speak of (except for below).
  • Cascade effect - We *have* been able to achieve a Guinness-like cascade with 100% nitrogen. The process is fairly simple: 1) we're pressurizing the keg to 45 psi; 2) we're shaking it for approximately two minutes while still connected to the tank at 45 psi; 3) we're pouring at 35 psi through a stout faucet anywhere from immediately following the shaking to 24 hours after shaking.

This is the result of our latest test:
IMG_20150729_155139.jpg

We realize that there might be an allergy to the shaking method. In our research, we've found a system that will do the nitrogen infusion without shaking. However, the cost of that system ranges between $3k and $4k. We anticipate that the cost of our system will be in the $1,200-$1,400 range. The coffee shops we've spoken with have said that there is not a significant enough value difference between the shaking vs. no shaking method to justify the minimum $1,600 price difference.

The working theory we've developed is the following:
  • I don't believe that there is enough CO2 in the ambient air to account for the cascade, though I easily could be underestimating how little CO2 it takes to produce the effect.
  • We've not tested longevity of the cascade effect after shaking, however it seems fairly stable 24 hours later. My guess is that keeping the pressure at 45psi post-shaking makes it difficult for the little nitrogen that has been absorbed to escape.
  • The taste seems to just be better on pure nitrogen. I don't tend to prefer overly-bitter or acidic coffee, so that might be a point of preference.
  • I have no clue how elevation and other factors might impact things.

Again, not an expert, but we're really impressed with progress. We'll keep at it in as many environments as possible and can report back results. Feel free to reach out direct ([email protected]) if you'd like to discuss.

Hey All:

Hoping I can help shed some light on this discussion with the caveat that we're still in testing. However, we've gotten some very encouraging results.

We're currently working with a coffee shop to R&D nitro cold brew for both mobile applications (they often do catering and sell at fairs/farmer's markets) and as a moveable behind-the-counter solution. This shop hasn't done nitro coffee yet, but would like to ASAP. I can't say that we've developed expertise, but I think we've found a process that that is delivering consistent quality.

Our Setup
We're using a fairly standard short-draw system (5' 3/16" ID beer line) on 100% nitrogen with a Corny keg. We chose this for two reasons: 1) the coffee shop owner did not want to alter the taste of the coffee and found that the CO2 added a bitterness that was unpleasant; and 2) we're using a small (1.5lb/6cuft) tank that easily fits into our existing PortaBeer mobile draft platform. Note that it's very difficult to get a true 75/25 mixture in a tank under 20# (I strongly suggest you test your gas if you've heard otherwise from your suppliers).

We're using cold brew coffee with no particular unique characteristics. Nothing else is being added to the coffee. We're pouring 5 gallons into each keg. Additionally, we're refrigerating the keg for approximately 24 hours after filling the kegs (roughly 34 degrees) before we're testing.

Our Results
  • Still iced coffee - This can be poured at 3-6 psi on pure nitrogen (or pure CO2 if the keg is going to go quickly, <8 hours). It can also be poured on high-pressure nitrogen through a stout faucet at 30+ psi, but there is no cascade/head to speak of (except for below).
  • Cascade effect - We *have* been able to achieve a Guinness-like cascade with 100% nitrogen. The process is fairly simple: 1) we're pressurizing the keg to 45 psi; 2) we're shaking it for approximately two minutes while still connected to the tank at 45 psi; 3) we're pouring at 35 psi through a stout faucet anywhere from immediately following the shaking to 24 hours after shaking.

IMG_20150729_155139.jpg

We realize that there might be an allergy to the shaking method. In our research, we've found a system that will do the nitrogen infusion without shaking. However, the cost of that system ranges between $3k and $4k. We anticipate that the cost of our system will be in the $1,200-$1,400 range. The coffee shops we've spoken with have said that there is not a significant enough value difference between the shaking vs. no shaking method to justify the minimum $1,600 price difference.

• I don't believe that there is enough CO2 in the ambient air to account for the cascade, though I easily could be underestimating how little CO2 it takes to produce the effect.
  • We've not tested longevity of the cascade effect after shaking, however it seems fairly stable 24 hours later. My guess is that keeping the pressure at 45psi post-shaking makes it difficult for the little nitrogen that has been absorbed to escape.
  • The taste seems to just be better on pure nitrogen. I don't tend to prefer overly-bitter or acidic coffee, so that might be a point of preference.

Again, not an expert, but we're really impressed with progress. We'll keep at it in as many environments as possible and can report back results. Feel free to reach out direct ([email protected]) if you'd like to discuss.

Might I suggest a diffusion stone instead of shaking?

http://www.morebeer.com/products/diffusion-stone-5-micron-carbonationoxygenation.html

Can't this be done with a simple whipper and N20 cartridge?

Not at the same scale as a 5 or 2.5 gallon keg, but if you want coffee on nitro -- just cold brew and seal it up in a whipper. You'll get the same output with a lot less effort. And the barrier for entry is low -- just a whipper and a creamer cartridge.

I've been making cocktails this way for years. Make your Manhattans in a whipper -- and you'll never look back.

See:

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html?p=4463.html

Awesome way to make quick cocktail bitters, too, BTW.

Hey All:

Our Setup

Our Results

IMG_20150729_155139.jpg

And, what will OSHA have to say about asking employees to shake a roughly 50 lb, cold, probably wet (condensation), keg?

Brew on :mug:

And, what will OSHA have to say about asking employees to shake a roughly 50 lb, cold, probably wet (condensation), keg?

Let it be known that i have a bad back.
I have a beergas/nitro set-up which i force carb beer/cider/wine with.
I shake the corny keg whilst it is hooked up to the tank.
More accurately i grab the top handle and rock it back and forth in a quik manner while it (and it's weight) rest on the ground.
The gas makes a noise as it fills the corny that i'll just call a hissing sound.
Basically you're only shaking the top or rocking it back and forth until you don't hear anymore hissing when you shake it or say bless this! my arms are tired!
Doing this isn't a danger and beleive me, i've seen plenty a workplace disregard safety in much more ways than this.

Brew on.

Let it be known that i have a bad back.
I have a beergas/nitro set-up which i force carb beer/cider/wine with.
I shake the corny keg whilst it is hooked up to the tank.
More accurately i grab the top handle and rock it back and forth in a quik manner while it (and it's weight) rest on the ground.
The gas makes a noise as it fills the corny that i'll just call a hissing sound.
Basically you're only shaking the top or rocking it back and forth until you don't hear anymore hissing when you shake it or say bless this! my arms are tired!
Doing this isn't a danger and beleive me, i've seen plenty a workplace disregard safety in much more ways than this.

Brew on.
If that low level of agitation will work with a very low solubility gas, then no problem. Not sure if that is enough to get super saturated with N2 however.

I find the more headspace the keg gets the more hissing / the better it works.
I agree with you in that it may not be sufficient for 100% nitro but cannot say from experience as i have a 70/30 blend and also have not done this to cold brewed coffee yet. However having recently quit drinking soda, i may do this soon to remain caffinated.

Some advice on using a carbonation stone in the bottom of a sealed and pressurized keg might be useful. It's not like oxygenating wort in an unsealed fermenter. Probably doesn't work if the keg is not pressurized, and then it has to stay in the keg till it kicks.

Sorry about that. Should have elaborated that I was thinking they could use a diffusion stone in conjunction with a carbonating lid, like this one...

http://www.morebeer.com/products/carbonating-keg-lid.html

This doesn't have to stay in the keg until it kicks.

Their instructions for beer are as follows. You'd have to experiment to figure out if this worked for coffee.

1. Preboil the stone for 2–3 minutes before using. This assures you that your stone is sterile and any residual oils have been boiled off.
2. Sanitize the whole keg lid before submersing into your keg filled with beer.
3. Set your PSI on your regulator to 3–4psi and attach your gas in fitting to the body connect on the lid. Leave keg at this pressure for 1 hour.
4. Raise your pressure 2PSI per hour until you reach 10–12psi. Leave it at 10–12psi for 24 hours. Pour a pint and test the carbonation. If you think your beer needs more CO2 leave for another 4–6 hours and have another pint.
5. Remove carbonation lid after carbonation level is satisfactory. Return original keg lid for long term storage.

I think in this case you could just install a stone in every keg attached to the gas in diptube and have it extend to the very bottom. Alternatively I wonder if a pinhole in the liquid diptube above the liquid level would help infuse a stream of nitrogen into the draft line. The latter is a permanent modification that may or may not work.

Sorry about that. Should have elaborated that I was thinking they could use a diffusion stone in conjunction with a carbonating lid, like this one...

http://www.morebeer.com/products/carbonating-keg-lid.html

This doesn't have to stay in the keg until it kicks.

Their instructions for beer are as follows. You'd have to experiment to figure out if this worked for coffee.

1. Preboil the stone for 2–3 minutes before using. This assures you that your stone is sterile and any residual oils have been boiled off.
2. Sanitize the whole keg lid before submersing into your keg filled with beer.
3. Set your PSI on your regulator to 3–4psi and attach your gas in fitting to the body connect on the lid. Leave keg at this pressure for 1 hour.
4. Raise your pressure 2PSI per hour until you reach 10–12psi. Leave it at 10–12psi for 24 hours. Pour a pint and test the carbonation. If you think your beer needs more CO2 leave for another 4–6 hours and have another pint.
5. Remove carbonation lid after carbonation level is satisfactory. Return original keg lid for long term storage.

That's a cool gadget I hadn't seen before.

CO2 in beer is pretty stable, and it doesn't take a really high CO2 partial pressure to get good levels of carbonation. N2 on the other hand is going to be way less stable in solution, and the partial pressure of N2 required to get useful amounts in solution to create bubbles is very high. So, it seems like removing the lid after "nitroing" the coffee would cause most of the benefit from using the stone to be lost, much like opening a can/bottle of nitro beer with a widget. Once you open it you can't go back.

However, it's probably worth a try since it's reasonably inexpensive.

Happy to report I now have nitro coffee on tap at home, with the aesthetics of the pours on par with Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout or Guiness.

From my discussions with the local coffee roaster, their trick is to have a carbonating stone permanently installed in all their kegs. They charge / carb the kegs for about a day prior to delivery and once I connected to my 100% nitro, they suggested bleeding off the headspace of nitrogen to force a bit more nitrogen through the coffee. I did this a couple times, not certain it is necessary.

Kegerator is at 37ºF. Coffee is being poured at 42 psi (for now).

I have cold press coffee on tap at home as I like cold coffee conveniently available. I don't like fizzy coffee and I don't care about the 'cascade'. That said:

I use ~2 pounds of french press grind coffee in a hop bag and 2.5 gallons RO water with a pinch of salt (NaCl) and let it soak for 24 hours at room temp in a stainless kettle.

I pour the cold press coffee into a 2.5 gallon keg. I hook the keg up to beer gas (75%N/25%CO2) at 5 PSI and purge the headspace. I dispense at 5 PSI through a regular Perlick tap. Each keg lasts 1-2 weeks at our house. The coffee never gets a noticeable level of carbonation. Over 1-2 weeks the coffee never seems to get stale or bitter.

You guys suck!!!! Now I need a nitro setup!!!

What about the idea of putting it on co2 at very low pressure for a couple days, then switch to nitro for the long term and serving?

I have cold press coffee on tap at home as I like cold coffee conveniently available. I don't like fizzy coffee and I don't care about the 'cascade'. That said:

I use ~2 pounds of french press grind coffee in a hop bag and 2.5 gallons RO water with a pinch of salt (NaCl) and let it soak for 24 hours at room temp in a stainless kettle.

I pour the cold press coffee into a 2.5 gallon keg. I hook the keg up to beer gas (75%N/25%CO2) at 5 PSI and purge the headspace. I dispense at 5 PSI through a regular Perlick tap. Each keg lasts 1-2 weeks at our house. The coffee never gets a noticeable level of carbonation. Over 1-2 weeks the coffee never seems to get stale or bitter.

With that gas mix and pressure, you are somewhere around 0.5 volumes (or less depending on temp) of CO2 (if you got to equilibrium, which you might not over the life of the keg.) This is less carbonation than an ale that has just finished fermenting. So not surprising you don't notice it.

I can also confirm that you can get the cascading effect with 100% nitrogen. I pressurize the keg at 40psi, agitate for 2 minutes and then fridge it at 35-45 degrees. ive tested it at 12 hours and it looks awesome.

Back