Coffee on nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

I recently just started delving into the world of nitro coffee. This thread has been an invaluable resource and now let me turn over what I have learned from putting everything into practice.

I hooked up a 2.5gal baby corny to my stout tap and filled it with delicious cold brew coffee. At the time, this thread was mostly discussing beer gas so I went to my local gas supplier and got a 75/25 blend (I tried for a 90/10, but unless you have a big account or the company advertises custom blends chances are you aren't going to get anything else)

Charged my coffee up on 35psi and left it for 12 hours. In the morning, there was minimal cascading, but the flavor was great. At about the 24 hour mark I was achieving some decent head on the coffee and the flavor was still on point. Moving into the 36-48 mark, the head continued getting better and thicker, but it was at this point the coffee started becoming carbonated. The flavor became acidic as the carbonic acid set foot into the coffee.

From my experience with beergas, it seems there is a very very small window in which you will achieve a desirable pour and flavor. After reading more of the thread as it has developed, I will definitely need to be trying 100% nitrogen

I can say with 100% conviction that a beer gas blend is not the way to go
in achieving your desired creamy coffee!

Hope this helps!

You are correct. It is not good to leave the keg pressurized with a beergas set up for an extended period of time (a day is long in this case).

If you want to set and forget, nitro is the way to go. If youll be serving a lot quickly (events, coffee shop...etc)...beergas will be optimum.

I too started this process this past month. I am completely new to beer brewing, but have been brewing kombucha and cold brew for a good while now in small batches. I decided I wanted to have of my favorite beverages on tap so I went out and put together a nice keezer system so I can have coffee, kombucha, sparkling water, and beer on tap. With that said, I really appreciate the information I've gathered in this thread as well as others to help me figure out the best way to put my cold brew on tap.

My first attempt with this is 4.5 gallons on 100% nitrogen. I originally started out with a pressure of 30 psi. It had great flavor, but very minimal head and practically no cascading. Upon recommendation from one of the previous posters I upped the psi to 45. Over the past week I have maintained flavor, started seeing cascading and have achieved a 1/4 in head. The cascading is no where near what I've seen in youtube videos from others/coffee shops, but it is noticeable.

Others have said that beer gas isn't good if the coffee isn't going to be drank within a day or so, but a few have also said that some carbonation didn't have too much of an effect. My question is what if I start out by hitting the coffee with a low psi amount of CO2 (say 5 psi) just to introduce some carbonation then put it directly on N2 at 45 psi? Would a low amount of CO2 affect the flavor that much? Would a low amount of CO2 be enough to obtain the cascading effect?

I look forward to learning more from everybody here.

Sorry for the sideways video...

View attachment coffee.MOV
coffee2.jpg

Back