Coffee Grinder/Mill recomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoatley

someone has to fail, so the rest of you look good
Reaction score
Hello HBT Coffee gurus !

I have recently gotten in to Cold Brewing coffee.

And i am looking to Up Grade some equipment already !! ( sound familiar ? )

I have a Toastmaster Bladed Coffee "mill" - Model 1119 i believe
Just like in the pic

And i was wondering what you Coffee Gurus would recommend for an up grade??

I am looking for a good "medium" grind - better for Cold Brewing
I am getting too many Whole Beans surviving this Toastmaster, and then i hit
that button again, and i have powder and still a few whole beans

So I am looking for a "reasonably" priced coffee mill.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !

Steve

EDIT - i shold mention that i own a Monster Mill 2 for my All Grain BEER brewing set up
Is there any way i could use that ??

toastmaster.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt another grinder will give you different results. I have a Mr. Coffee and it does the same thing. Try shaking it as you are grinding and take care not to overgrind.

My $20 Krupps spinner coffee mill is 15 years old, has sustained 2 DIY repairs, shows its age and although it has "wear spots," it still runs fine.

I grind my coffee very fine (cowboy coffee, Serbian/Greek/Turkish coffee), for about 45-60 seconds with some gentle shaking, to mix it up and prevent the grinds to settle in the lid area, leaving the spinner running mostly idle. It mills quite evenly at that, like dust, not much grit. I looked for a possible replacement a few weeks ago and all reports I saw rated that Krupps #1 of the spinner type. It has a 200W motor and an elliptical chamber that help the cause.

I also use it to grind spices.

Now the people in the know frown upon spinners and claim burr grinders are the only way. They can get pricey though! And they need to be cleaned regularly or after using flavored coffee, before switching to a different kind.

You will get a more uniform grind and better control over the fineness/coarseness with a burr grinder. I have been happy with my Baritza Virtuoso in use for several years now, at a price point similar to the Oxo. For drip or French press coffee, the less expensive burr grinders are probably sufficient. If you want an espresso grind, the more expensive ones will give better performance.

We have a cuisinart burr grinder that I hate. It's about 10 years old and the wife won't let me swap it out. It's loud, is and inconsistent grind (little powder with the normal grind) and doesn't hold enough coffee in the hopper.

Not recommended.

But it's still better than the version in the photo above. That type is good for dried herbs, not for coffee.

Thanks for all the replies guys !

I am looking for that "course" grind - for Cold brewing coffee
( i hate HOT brewed coffee, to much acrid / acid taste )

Yup - this is the 'grinder' i got for brewing beer
its great for chopping up Orange peel or coriander for my Wheat Beers

but it is VERY inconsistent for coffee

I get whole beans left over, and if i keep pulsing, i get total powder
which is not good for Cold Brewing, too much makes it into the final product.

I am looking at this one

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...fee-grinder/1040593562?Keyword=coffee+grinder

I just can't justify dropping $200 on a grinder - just yet !

S

toastmaster.jpg

Anything with blade is not a coffee grinder instead it's a spice grinder. Only burr grinders produce good results and they start at around $100. Try grinders from Baratza, Capresso or the Rancilio Rocky else you are just drinking the residue of coffee.

Anything with blade is not a coffee grinder instead it's a spice grinder. Only burr grinders produce good results and they start at around $100. Try grinders from Baratza, Capresso or the Rancilio Rocky else you are just drinking the residue of coffee.

I am seeing some listed as burr grinders for $20 manual hand-cranked or $30 automatic. Any experience with these? Too good to be true?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGRENVY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012F9QGW4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

I have that exact one. I think it's probably been 4 or 5 years now. I'm super happy with it. If I had any reservation it is only that it can be hard to really clean out. But I only do that about once a month.

I do espresso. I have found that the grinder is more important than the espresso maker to get good results.

If you like your coffee robust yet roasty rather than bitter you might also try one of these...

Too late for the OP, but I got tired of replacing cheap coffee grinders every 3-5 years after my last one died. Saw that getting an electric grinder that lasts costs more than I wanted to spend and ended up going this manual grinder:http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/camano-coffee-mill/
It is great for most grinds, but the older version I have gets a little inconsistent at espresso or Turkish grind levels. The new version claims to fix that, though I drink drip and aeropress from it so that doesn't effect me.

The manual is ok and there are more. But I doubt the electric one. Since, $32 are not a big amount so it can be tried.

Old post, but it seems these posts aren't moving very fast these days. Plus for search ability:
I've been running a Baratza Encore for the last 3+ years, and a Baratza Precio for the last year. Neither has had any issues at all and I absolutely love the grinds I get from them for my daily french press and Vac Pots. They can get extremely fine, but Baratza has ones better suited for espresso grinds.
The Baratza website has refurbished grinders available from time to time for a steeply discounted price.

Back