Clear Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybrew123

Reaction score
My dry stout recipe came out tasting great. But, while it is very dark, you can still see through it when there is a light behind it.

What should I do next time to make it completely opaque? Wheat? Mill the flaked barley?

Thanks.

5.5 lbs Pale Malt Extract
1 lb roast barley 550 L
1 lb 2 row
2 lbs flaked Barley

1.25 Kent Goldings 7.2 AA
4 drops lactic

Stouts are dark, not opaque. If you shine a bright light through a glass of stout there should be a deep, dark red/garnet color not opacity.

If you want motor oil, (saying that as a good thing), try a heavy dose of Carafa III. Some of the heavy hitter stouts we rave about use it to get that motor oil color.

What BigEd said... your recipe looks good, if anything you actually got a nice sediment and most of your yeast has dropped out. Sounds to me like you have a well made beer. Which yeast did you use?

You can double mill (or grind like coffee) the roast barley if you like, for more color and flavor. Still, unless you're making a really big (read, 10%+ ABV) stout, don't expect it to be anywhere near opaque in a pint glass with a light behind it.

My Sweet Stout has never been so dark that I can't see light through it. It should be nice and coffee/chocolate brown and be slightly reddish with light shined through it. I agree with Keystone, that if you absolutely want to have it the color of used motor oil, Carafa III will get you there. But is sounds like you have a very cleanly attenuated stout.

Mouse

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it is all right that some light comes through. I used the American Ale yeast slap pack, and I always rack to a secondary to free up the bigger fermentor. I will have to try some Guiness I guess. I just always remember it as being opaque though I have not looked closely at a glass of it in a while. Taste is pretty similar to memory, but no nitrogen feel. Now that I have had a few, and read all of the replies, I kind of like the dark red/garnet color.

In my opinion, it is harder to get the true stout color of a dark garnet when held to light than the motor oil color.

That said, I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers.

Back