Cleaning an e flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
The title says it all. I have a 2L borosilicate eflask that I use to spin my starters. I always clean it by first filling half way with hot water and shaking vigorously, then soaking with hot water 24 hours and repeat step 1. Finally I store with a fresh foil cap and starsan in both the flask and the foil. There is a stubborn krausen ring that refuses to yeild to my efforts. I hesitate to use dish liquid or a bottlebrush, because I don't want to contaminate my yeast or scratch the inside of the flask. Any other options? The ring is more cosmetic than functional, but I like things neat and tidy.

I really wouldn't worry about a bottle brush scratching the glass. You can also try filling up with hot water and PBW or oxyclean and allow it to soak overnight.

I second the PBW, or homemade (oxyclean and TSP/90). That stuff (1-2 Tbsp/gal) in very warm water, will soak organics off anything.

I would suggest autoclaving the flask in your oven at 275 for 45 minutes once it is dry. Do that with the foil on. Your flask is now sterile inside. Much more effective than star san, and cheaper.

+1 on the Oxy soak. And why would you think that a bottle brush is going to scratch your flask? Does it scratch your bottles?

I do a "Super-charged" oxiclean soak, good rinse then boil a small amount of water right in the flask for 10-15 minutes.

There is no substitute for PBW in my experience. Shame because it is so expensive and has limited reusability.

But yeah, glass is not going to scratch. That's why it's great. Get a bottle brush and scrub the bejeezus out of it.

I do PBW if there is anything that doesn't come clean easily. I've also used regular dish detergent a few times. As long as you rinse thoroughly, it doesn't cause any problems.

Also, if you boil your starter in the flask, there isn't much reason to worry about keeping it sanitized between uses. The boil will sanitize it just fine.

Also, if you boil your starter in the flask, there isn't much reason to worry about keeping it sanitized between uses. The boil will sanitize it just fine.

This. I usually rinse my flask after use, give an Oxiclean soak and it is good to go. Boiling your starter will sanitize it just fine.

Latest posts

Back