Cider: Cleaning Keg & Lines...is it any different than beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sooo...I feel really silly for even needing to ask this, but I've been having a heck of a time with this, which makes me hesitant to make a full 5 gallon batch and hook up to the kegerator.

I've got a couple of Kegland Kegs with Ball Lock caps. Have a 5L, 4L & 2L. At any rate, I've done small batches of beer in them in the past and cleaning was pretty routine. PBW or Oxyclean, scrub a bit, soak, flush cleaner through the ball lock cap, the silicone tubing, take apart the posts every other use, scrub..etc., all good.

Using these with cider, the smell just seems to stick around. Scrub...soak...hot water...cold water...multiple cycles, rinses...

The idea of having to designate a keg and/or specific line in the kegerator for only cider I guess isn't "horrible", but is it necessary? Am I missing something, or is this expected?

Is it a clean cider or a wild fermented one ?
If clean, I Don't see any Reason to change your cleaning routine. If wild fermented, just be ware that it could infect your beer once you put it in a keg you used for cider. So you may use something like caustic soda instead of PBW or oxy but it is just more powerfull, nothing really significant.

Maybe your cider have a very high acidity and go deep into you plastic pipe but it should not make your soda keg smelling after theu are well cleaned.

Back