Cider OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargon

Reaction score
Simple queston what does plain ole cider start out with OG without any sugars? got ten gallons on order and need to know how much sugar i need to get a certain %. this is going to be fresh pressed cider if that helps.

That would depend on which types of apples you are pressing. every apple has a different sugar, tannin and acid level all which are important for making good cider.
In my experiences I have found any thing from 1048 - 1054 from using normal apple varieties that can be found in stores. or local farms.
Although it could be lower or higher

most juice will also ferment dry Below SG 1.000 with any style of yeast (Beer, wine, champagne or cider yeast)

below is a couple of links you may find helpful

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/cider.htm

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

^^^^ what wurzel said. in my neck of the woods tart apples like grannys are usually around 1.045 and the sweetest local dessert variety pushes 1.056 or a touch higher

Gotcha thanks for the info. One more queston i am guessing im going to need to use yeast nutrients i have some Wyeast Nutrients from my beer making would that give the cider what it need to ferment clean? or do i even need to add anything? im try to get the cider drinkable asap im sure if i let it age for a long time it might not need anything. does adding nutrients speed up things?

Gotcha thanks for the info. One more queston i am guessing im going to need to use yeast nutrients i have some Wyeast Nutrients from my beer making would that give the cider what it need to ferment clean? or do i even need to add anything? im try to get the cider drinkable asap im sure if i let it age for a long time it might not need anything. does adding nutrients speed up things?

i always use nutrients, just makes it drinkable quicker and gives healthier yeast. no reason not to.

Back