Cider in first fermentor for 40 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatts4200

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a cider and it has been in the ferm for 40 days now. I decided to just use the organic cider without adding any sugars or other flavors. Today I decided to taste it and it was very bland. Not bad by any means but just blahhh... Almost like watered down apple flavor with the boozy tingle finish.

Any suggestions on what I can do at this point to add more flavor or should I just deal with it a drink away?

Adding apple juice concentrate is what I would do! Or you could try shaking things up a bit and add some fruit to your secondary.

You think sliced fruit or should i use the food processor? And if I dip the fruit in vodka it should kill any unwanted junk with out changing the flavor?

For a quick fix, I saw someone post that they freeze some apple juice (or cranberry or whatever) into ice cube trays and then drop one in a glass for people that prefer a sweeter cider.

bwatts4200 said:
You think sliced fruit or should i use the food processor? And if I dip the fruit in vodka it should kill any unwanted junk with out changing the flavor?

You could go the vodka rout if you like, but actual fruit would work fine too. Our good friend Matrix taught me that your brew should have enough alcohol to kill off any baddies by now.

I think the vodka might transfer more flavor. I'd like confirmation on that though. I have never tried the vodka extract method.

does fresh or frozen fruit in the food processor added to the secondary add flavor or restart the fermentation?

Any fruit you add to the secondary will restart fermentation. If there's sugar in it...it'll start moving again.

I'd go a whole different direction and add a bit of acid blend and/or some wine tannin.

That will provide a balance that might be lacking in "flabby" ciders and wines.

Good advice. I usually boil raisins in a small amount of water to (in theory) add some nutrients for the yeast and add grape tannins to my cider. I can't say that it does anything at all, but it makes me happy. :)

Alright, I added blackberries to the secondary... Will this reactive the yeast or should I repitch? I saved some of the yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back