Cider Debris - Pectin Enzyme Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltyraisins

Reaction score
A friend if mine gave me a ton of crab apples to make cider. My mill/press needs some work right now so I opted for the Breville juicer.

So I put them in half gallon batches since it wasn't a lot and added some pectin enzyme. 1/8 tsp to the full 1/2 gallon and a bit less than that to the other. This morning (10hrs later) there are large apple "chunks" present. I'm not sure what to do. Do I strain or just pitch yeast in it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

image-431639410.jpg

image-968162233.jpg

You could do either, but you'll want to get rid of all those particulates at some point anyway, so I think I'd try to strain/filter the juice a bit before pitching yeast. Even with straining, you'll get some of the finer particulates, but that's to be expected. It'll eventually drop clear after fermentation, but that juice is looking pretty thick right now. I'd pour it through a sieve & go from there.
Regards, GF.

Back