Chinook/Amarillo Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GammaRay4130

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm working on a pale ale recipe just looking for any input. Trying to get some pine hence the chinook, but still want it balanced so I'm trying not to go overboard on hopping. Let me know what you think of the recipe and any input you have.

1.055 og 40.4 ibu
10# 2 row
1# munich
.5# crystal 40

.25 oz chinook 60 min - 12.2 ibu
.5 oz amarillo 15 min - 6.3 ibu
.5 oz chinkook 15 min - 12.1 ibu
.5 oz amarillo 5 min - 2.5 ibu
.75 oz chinook 5 min - 7.3 ibu

Not really sure if I want to dry hop this one since I'm sure it will be a quick turnaround time from grain to glass and doubt it will end up lasting too long. Let me know what you think. Thanks :mug:

I've got to try something simple like this. I've got into the thinking that any type of Pale Ale needs at least 8 ozs of hops ....... and more is better. IPAs got to have twice that. It is a cascading effect where you need more hops each time to get the same effect. Got to try making some simple 'clean' ales.

What mash temp? I would probably go about 150 F.

I think a dry hop would be a positive (but I'm a hop head). Toss in an ounce for 5 days. The beer is clearing at the same time. And since this will not hang around for long, that makes it perfect for dry hops, since they fade relatively quickly.

I've got to try something simple like this. I've got into the thinking that any type of Pale Ale needs at least 8 ozs of hops ....... and more is better. IPAs got to have twice that. It is a cascading effect where you need more hops each time to get the same effect. Got to try making some simple 'clean' ales.

What mash temp? I would probably go about 150 F.

I think a dry hop would be a positive (but I'm a hop head). Toss in an ounce for 5 days. The beer is clearing at the same time. And since this will not hang around for long, that makes it perfect for dry hops, since they fade relatively quickly.

I was thinking 150-152 for mash temps. I can be the same way when it comes to hops which is why I was going for something more balanced. Also forgot yeast I have wlp 001, 029 and wyeast 1450 on hand. 001 seems like the obvious choice for a pale ale but now I'm thinking maybe go with 1450 and a bit of dry hopping, should still be fairly balanced.

Latest posts

Back