Cheers, from the Chicago burbs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefKeeper

Reaction score
Hi all. Just started my second brew yesterday (I don't really count the first one. It was a 1 gallon hemp beer kit I made 10 years ago). It turned out to be pretty good, but I didn't have the right equipment to make it worth the effort and never got back into. Recently I decided I was going to make wine and figured I'd need something with a quicker pay off while I waited to bulk age the wine. Having most of the equipment anyway, brewing seemed silly to not do.

So yesterday, a friend and I made a Brewer's Best IPA kit. I pitched the yeast last night around 7. I placed the fermentation bucket in my fish room thinking that the warmth would help get the yeast going. The fermentation lock was bubbling by 9 this morning.

I went out to rack wine at a friends house. I got home around 2, and the fermentation lock had foamed over, the bucket lid had popped up and beer was starting to accumulate on the floor. I cleaned up the mess, made a blow off hose, and moved the bucket into my utility sink to contain any more spills. ...at least the foam tastes good so far.

welcome to the forum. And sounds like fermentation is off to a great start if you have any questions on beer dont hesitate to ask

Thanks for the welcome.

I think I might have had the bucket in too warm a spot. I placed it in my utility sink until it stopped foaming out of the blow off. It quieted down a little after that, and I've since moved it to a cooler closet. It's been steadily bubbling for the last 24 hours or so, but at a much more controlled rate.

I hope I didn't do much damage to it in the 24 hours it was too warm. Oh well, you live, you learn. At least the hops should help cover up any esters that might have formed.

Back