Cheers from Michigan's Upper Peninsula!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working in Georgia this week and as of last night when I wrote that post it looked like I was leaving today (Friday) and not coming back for a while. Now they want me coming back every 2-3 weeks for a while so this summer might be shot between work and getting stuff done at home. Of course they cant keep me here in the "winter" when it gets down to 50 degrees...has to be in the 95+* summers!

Still, I might be able to fit in a UP vacation...Yoop you say your cottage "can be on the way to 26" how close are you talking? I really dont know the area that well but my uncle lives in Houghton so that's the way we'd be going.

FYI...he (us when were there) are regulars of the B&B in houghton and the Cliffview up in Phoenix...

If you look at a map, Iron River is about 1.5 hours from Houghton. My cottage is about 10 miles west of Iron River. If you go west from my cottage, hwy 45 is 15 miles. Then, north on 45 will take you to up to 26. It's probably 10 miles out of your way vs. going up 141 to M28.

You can stay overnight at the cottage if you'd like- it's comfortable and informal and open to friends at all times.

If you look at a map, Iron River is about 1.5 hours from Houghton. My cottage is about 10 miles west of Iron River. If you go west from my cottage, hwy 45 is 15 miles. Then, north on 45 will take you to up to 26. It's probably 10 miles out of your way vs. going up 141 to M28.

You can stay overnight at the cottage if you'd like- it's comfortable and informal and open to friends at all times.

You know...I've been to the UP about 10 times in my 26 years but have never been to the southern (southwestern?) UP. Looks like you're in the middle of a national forest...must be a beautiful area! You got me all excited but I cant lead anyone on as I have no idea how things are going to pan out this summer. If I come up it will definitely be in July to miss the "not-as" buggy season! I very appreciate the invitation to stay and very well may take you up on it!

Yoop...this may just be me a little sauced up on my last night in GA but I remember when i first joined here on HBT and you were immediately one of the nicest, welcoming people I found. I have always wanted to meet you since then...:cross:

... I really dont know the area that well but my uncle lives in Houghton so that's the way we'd be going.

FYI...he (us when were there) are regulars of the B&B in houghton and the Cliffview up in Phoenix...

If you find yourself in Houghton, PM me.

Oh, and the B&B has good pickled eggs!

If you find yourself in Houghton, PM me.

Oh, and the B&B has good pickled eggs!

Oh man...I grew up hating the eggs only because my dad and uncle loved them and I had to "smell" them afterwards...but now I LOVE them! I remember the eggs before the health dept made them keep them in the fridge. I was young at the time but I remember the first time we went up there and they werent sitting on the counter.

I could totally go for a nice, hot, burn-the-top-of-your-mouth tombstone pizza right about now...

I'll def. PM you if things come through...

Yoop...this may just be me a little sauced up on my last night in GA but I remember when i first joined here on HBT and you were immediately one of the nicest, welcoming people I found. I have always wanted to meet you since then...:cross:

I think you'll find that most yoopers are like that. One of the many reasons I love it up here in the UP! Good people, good scenery, great beer! :mug:

Oh man...I grew up hating the eggs only because my dad and uncle loved them and I had to "smell" them afterwards...but now I LOVE them! I remember the eggs before the health dept made them keep them in the fridge. I was young at the time but I remember the first time we went up there and they werent sitting on the counter.

I'll def. PM you if things come through...

If you go to the Dog (Douglass House Saloon), you'll find that they keep their eggs out, and they're great also.

Yeah, if nothing else, we could meet up for a beer and a pickled egg, else we could draw from the taps at my house if you're interested.

I know what you mean by the, uh, after-smell of pickled eggs. They get a bad rap from the fumes of partially digested remains, but they're an awesome bar snack!

You know...I've been to the UP about 10 times in my 26 years but have never been to the southern (southwestern?) UP. Looks like you're in the middle of a national forest...must be a beautiful area! You got me all excited but I cant lead anyone on as I have no idea how things are going to pan out this summer. If I come up it will definitely be in July to miss the "not-as" buggy season! I very appreciate the invitation to stay and very well may take you up on it!

You're welcome at anytime. August is also a good time, with few bugs and warm weather.

I AM in the middle of the Ottawa National forest. In fact, I'm married to the (former) Supervisory Wildlife Biologist of that forest. He retired in January, and we're having a great time. Because he knows the forest so well, we know of all the great waterfalls and hiking trails and more. We're in the middle of a long-term drought, so the water levels are down for canoeing but it's still beautiful. We can give any visitors the insiders' travel tips to this area, and some great spots to fish, picnic or hike.

We love having guests, even just for a quick beer so you can always feel free to stop in and we can make sure you're set up ok!

We have extra bedrooms at our house in town, and a comfortable place at the lake so we can always make room.

Back