Cheers from Michigan's Upper Peninsula!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiber_Brew

It's about the beer.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals)!

New to the forum, but not to brewing beer. Brewing batch #60 (since I started keeping track) tomorrow after work. Including my early extract batches, I've probably got around 80ish brews under my belt and looking to do plenty more.

I brew just about every style of beer from all regions of the globe. I've done a few meads that have turned out great as well. Strictly all-grain, and most of my equipment is home made.

Prost!

There are a few Yoopers around, and I'm glad you could join us!

The Yoopers are a quiet bunch, though. :D

I must admit, though, I was born in the LP (e.g. troll). I've lived in the UP for about 8 years now, and my wife and I are very happy up here.

Good to see some Yoopers making their presence here!

22,000+ posts. 'Nuff said.....

welcome, Tiber!

Oh, and ignore the Cheeseheads. They don't always get along with us. I mean, think about it. Cheeseheads. The word alone tells you how their brains function. :D

(Um, I AM actually an honorary cheesehead, so I'm not sure what that says bout me. But that is another story).

Thanks for the welcome, all!

My wife is from the land of, ahem, dairy air as well. Wouldn't say she's a true cheesehead, but her family has season tickets to the Packers though!

I'll be seeing (talking to) you around.

TB

Hi Timber. Greetings from the UP as well. The southern UP, Iron Mountain area. Been brewing for about 7-8 years now, but not a pro yet. I've lost count on the number of batches brewed, but still try to come up with something new each time.

It IS beautiful up there!

I think my daughter is going to an engineering camp, paid for by my wife's company's owner, for a week or two. So I might get a chance to spend a couple of days up that way. Nothing in stone yet, but I will want to drive around and take pics and visit a few towns.

I think my daughter is going to an engineering camp, paid for by my wife's company's owner, for a week or two. So I might get a chance to spend a couple of days up that way. Nothing in stone yet, but I will want to drive around and take pics and visit a few towns.

Ooooh, on the way up, you HAVE to stop by! I'd love for you to visit the cottage and have a few beers. If you want to stop here first, you could stay overnight at the cottage and then only have a 1.5 hour drive to MTU. (That engineering camp for girls is awesome, by the way).

We've been in a drought, but there are still some waterfalls and cool places to stop between my place and MTU.

I actually live in Houghton, so if you're there for the MTU camp, you're welcome to stop by for a beer. If Yooper_Brew trusts you, I'll trust you. :mug:

I actually live in Houghton, so if you're there for the MTU camp, you're welcome to stop by for a beer. If Yooper_Brew trusts you, I'll trust you. :mug:

Thanks! I'd love to get together for a beer. We should work something out. I am also planning on possibly meeting at Yoopers place for a brewday, or just nearby for a beer or whatever. Kid is going up week of July 11th-17th. We could probably meet some day on one of those weekends. Still need to work out the exact time and stuff with the wife's input.

I'd love to make it a mini-vacation, but my idea of a good time is not necessarily hers as well. Is there anything up there that your average female companion would appreciate? She doesn't drink beer at all (except to taste mine and wince...)

I go to Tech and am moving back up to Houghton on Friday. I live in an apartment above the KBC...oh boy.

I'd love to make it a mini-vacation, but my idea of a good time is not necessarily hers as well. Is there anything up there that your average female companion would appreciate? She doesn't drink beer at all (except to taste mine and wince...)

Hiking, kayaking, going to waterfalls, etc. There are some great spots, like the Porcupine Mountains, and there is a state park near Houghton called Mclain State Park. No shopping or anything like that, but there a couple of stores in Houghton if you need something.

I'm heading up to the pictured rocks a week from tomorrow! I cant wait and i just wanna say that i love the UP. Im also looking forward to the MBG Oktoberfest in Marquette! Im just about to start a job at Arcadia Ales; training to brew for them so i hope that i get to go up there with the guys in september

I go to Tech and am moving back up to Houghton on Friday. I live in an apartment above the KBC...oh boy.

Haha. Oh boy indeed. They have some good beer. When I go back up to Houghton to visit, I always try to stop in the KBC for a cold one.

That's funny. I used to manage those apartments when I lived there. I would collect rent, fix stuff and whatnot. I'm good friends with the owners of the brewery, too. Oh, and I also bar-tended at the brewery during college.

I used to make a ton of beer in those apartments, but I started running out of room!

Let me know if you need any help or advice or something. Or if you just want to trade some brews. I live just up the hill past Hurontown.

I'm heading up to the pictured rocks a week from tomorrow! I cant wait and i just wanna say that i love the UP. Im also looking forward to the MBG Oktoberfest in Marquette! Im just about to start a job at Arcadia Ales; training to brew for them so i hope that i get to go up there with the guys in september

I missed the first Marquette Oktoberfest because of my wedding. You can bet I'll be there this year!

(Although we went to THE Oktoberfest in Munich for our honeymoon) :mug:

Hiking, kayaking, going to waterfalls, etc. There are some great spots, like the Porcupine Mountains, and there is a state park near Houghton called Mclain State Park. No shopping or anything like that, but there a couple of stores in Houghton if you need something.
There is also a nice park downtown, a couple beaches, museums, a mall (although pretty vacant), and some neat downtown shopping. Also, there is a winery in South Range, which is just a couple miles south of us. I'd recommend a visit/tasting if she's into wine.

100th post!

Thanks! I'd love to get together for a beer. We should work something out. I am also planning on possibly meeting at Yoopers place for a brewday, or just nearby for a beer or whatever. Kid is going up week of July 11th-17th. We could probably meet some day on one of those weekends. Still need to work out the exact time and stuff with the wife's input.

The weekend of the 17th is my birthday and my wife and I are planning on a couple day long motorcycle trip. The plans aren't concrete yet, so we'll see when time gets closer. The weekend before that, 11th, is free. I could introduce you to to the varieties of beer in my kegerator, maybe show you around town, head to the local breweries (yes, there are two good ones).

haha- Homer and I met in person last fall and I can vouch for him. Very nice guy!

Home brewers tend to be that way. :)

Tiber, if you used to bar tend at the KBC I'm sure I've seen you working there, and think we once talked briefly about brewing. I could be wrong, but I know I talked about brewing with a few there before.

The more I read this post, the more I am convinced that Tiber is my buddy's nephew... Does Tiber's uncle live in Romeo by chance?

The more I read this post, the more I am convinced that Tiber is my buddy's nephew... Does Tiber's uncle live in Romeo by chance?
I do have uncles that live/work near the Detroit area.

Who are you thinking of? If it's not me, then I'm sure I know the person you're thinking of.

Tiber, if you used to bar tend at the KBC I'm sure I've seen you working there, and think we once talked briefly about brewing. I could be wrong, but I know I talked about brewing with a few there before.

That's quite possible. I worked there from 2004 to 2007, and talked about brewing to thousands of people from all over the country (and from around the world).

I used to make a ton of beer in those apartments, but I started running out of room!

Let me know if you need any help or advice or something. Or if you just want to trade some brews. I live just up the hill past Hurontown.

That's awesome. I'm moving in over Memorial Day and looking forward to trying the Dubbel they have on tap.

You ran out of room with all those closets in the apartment? Ha, I can't believe how many closets are in the apartment.

And thanks for the offer of help/advice. I just got into homebrewing, so I'm sure I'll have questions. Lemme know if you're ever in the KBC this summer and I'll buy you a pint. (Gotta love those 2.50 pints)

That's awesome. I'm moving in over Memorial Day and looking forward to trying the Dubbel they have on tap.
Actually, I provided the yeast for that Dubbel. It was a strain that I mixed and propagated for some of my homebrews, then Tom (the current brew master) showed interest in making a Dubbel. So I gave him a yeast prop from one of my batches. I've got a couple killer Dubbels (brewing another 11 gallons of Dubbel this Saturday actually) that you'll love if you like that kind of beer.

You ran out of room with all those closets in the apartment? Ha, I can't believe how many closets are in the apartment.
Yeah, and then some. I had to give a lot of it away. It helped that my (at the time) brew partner took some home with him as well, but I still couldn't fit it all in the closets. I had a wall of cases stacked in my room for the overflow! (I was in the southeast apt. facing Shelden Ave.)

And thanks for the offer of help/advice. I just got into homebrewing, so I'm sure I'll have questions. Lemme know if you're ever in the KBC this summer and I'll buy you a pint.
We live in a small town; I could be at KBC in 5 minutes. Just let me know. And, likewise, you're welcome to sample some of the beers I have on tap at my house (all home brew of course). If you want, you can join for a brew day. That's the best way to learn the ropes. If you join from the beginning, see it from crushing grain to pitching yeast, you'll get a very good idea of how the process works.

(Gotta love those 2.50 pints)
I may be a bit older than you, but I remember the days of the $1.50 pint at KBC. And free peanuts. That's back when they only had the one side (before the non-smoking side opened), and when the canning machine was downstairs (before the wholesale brewery opened in South Range).

I remember when I was bar tending there, people from out of town would be so surprised at the prices. Guys would buy 3 pints and I'd say "six dollars," and he'd say "no, for all three of them," and I'd say "right. six dollars total." They usually left a huge tip after their pleasant surprise. (This was when pints were $2.00.)

Still! $2.50 is a great price for a fine beer!

I do have uncles that live/work near the Detroit area.

Who are you thinking of? If it's not me, then I'm sure I know the person you're thinking of.

Well, I doubt you are who I was thinking of... Only because you used the term "uncles." (plural) The guy I was thinking of went to school for engineering in the UP, is into motorcycles, homebrews (which I recently found out), and only has one uncle in the metro Detroit area. His other uncle is in Muncie, IN, and his dad lives in Fife Lake, MI. BTW... The guy I am thinking of is Bart. The one major thing that threw me off is that I thought Bart was living in the Traverse City area. Ohwell, at any rate, welcome aboard HBT Tiber!

Ah, nope, not me. Strange coincidences though. Sounds like the story of my life, except for living in TC. I'm originally from the Petoskey area, which is sort of close to TC, though.

I have seriously been thinking of taking SWMBO back up to the UP this summer and staying at my uncle's cabin near Phoenix (just off 26 near what we call 10-foot...not sure if that's a family term or a local thing) since we havent been there in a couple years. I've been wanting to meat (that's right, meat ;)) mrs Yooper for a while now as she's been down here once or twice and I've been busy.

If I finalize any plans I'll let everyone know. It's be great to be a part of a HBT Copper Country get together!

I have seriously been thinking of taking SWMBO back up to the UP this summer and staying at my uncle's cabin near Phoenix (just off 26 near what we call 10-foot...not sure if that's a family term or a local thing) since we havent been there in a couple years. I've been wanting to meat (that's right, meat ;)) mrs Yooper for a while now as she's been down here once or twice and I've been busy.

If I finalize any plans I'll let everyone know. It's be great to be a part of a HBT Copper Country get together!

I'd love you to stop by this way!!!!! Just let me know when/if you are coming and I'll do my best to make it happen.

I rarely get to the Copper Country but I'd be willing to go up that way for a meet up. My cottage can be on the way to 26, too, if you wanted to stop here.

Actually, I provided the yeast for that Dubbel. It was a strain that I mixed and propagated for some of my homebrews, then Tom (the current brew master) showed interest in making a Dubbel. So I gave him a yeast prop from one of my batches. I've got a couple killer Dubbels (brewing another 11 gallons of Dubbel this Saturday actually) that you'll love if you like that kind of beer.

Now thats pretty cool. Been anxious to try it; it went on tap the day I left for my brief summer vacation.

(I was in the southeast apt. facing Shelden Ave.)

That is the apartment I'm staying in; Apt 1. What did you go to Tech for? I'm studying civil engineering and surveying.

We live in a small town; I could be at KBC in 5 minutes. Just let me know. And, likewise, you're welcome to sample some of the beers I have on tap at my house (all home brew of course). If you want, you can join for a brew day. That's the best way to learn the ropes. If you join from the beginning, see it from crushing grain to pitching yeast, you'll get a very good idea of how the process works.

Sounds great. I'll definitely keep in contact over the summer!

I'd love you to stop by this way!!!!! Just let me know when/if you are coming and I'll do my best to make it happen.

I rarely get to the Copper Country but I'd be willing to go up that way for a meet up. My cottage can be on the way to 26, too, if you wanted to stop here.

I am working in Georgia this week and as of last night when I wrote that post it looked like I was leaving today (Friday) and not coming back for a while. Now they want me coming back every 2-3 weeks for a while so this summer might be shot between work and getting stuff done at home. Of course they cant keep me here in the "winter" when it gets down to 50 degrees...has to be in the 95+* summers!

Still, I might be able to fit in a UP vacation...Yoop you say your cottage "can be on the way to 26" how close are you talking? I really dont know the area that well but my uncle lives in Houghton so that's the way we'd be going.

FYI...he (us when were there) are regulars of the B&B in houghton and the Cliffview up in Phoenix...

Back