Checking pH, and other parameters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drb471

Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing a small pH tester, and since my company sells environmental equipment, I can get mine extremely cheap.

I'm curious what instruments everyone uses. I will be purchasing a Hanna meter.

However, I'm curious if anyone tests for other parameters, like ORP, Dissolved Oxygen, conductivity, or turbidity.

I use a Hanna meter and it works great for my needs. Just make sure to get some storage solution and to use it, so the probe doesn't dry out. I haven't tested the other parameters you mentioned. Interesting topic though so I will see if anyone else chimes in.

John

I sell Hanna meters daily. I have a warehouse full of storage solutions, as well as the pH buffer solutions, so I can always calibrate it here at work.

The reason for my question too, is because, while I can easily grab an affordable meter to only test pH, we also rent and sell multi-parameter units that does everything else I mentioned above, however, we're looking at a few thousand $$ for those... not something I'd want to purchase, but I have constant access to them, and could always take one home for testing.

You would do better to ask this in the Brew Science section. I have a Hach pH meter and a TDS meter. I use RO water from the machines at the grocery store and use the TDS meter to double check that I'm getting what I'm paying for.

pH meter, digital thermometer, digital refractometer. Now that you mention it, I do have access to a nephelometer, never thought about using that on my brew!

ph paper indicator (small range), alcohol termometer, glass densimeter, and a lamp to check turbidity.
I'm an analogical brewer.

pH meter, digital thermometer, digital refractometer. Now that you mention it, I do have access to a nephelometer, never thought about using that on my brew!

I would hope you wouldn't have the need to use a nephelometer in your brew. haha...

BTW, I'm in San Diego also. Just checked out Alesmith for the first time last week. Great place.

ph paper indicator (small range), alcohol termometer, glass densimeter, and a lamp to check turbidity.
I'm an analogical brewer.

Turbidity was one what I wondered about, as well as Total Dissolved Solids, and Total Suspended Solids.

Latest posts

Back