Cheapest place to purchase hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
My next brew calls for
1lb of mosaic
1lb of citra
1 lb of chinook

Need an affordable way to get these hops , any suggestions?

Yakima Valley Hops again. Their quality is beyond reproach and their storage of hops seems to be impeccable. Can't beat fast shipping in Mylar vacuum sealed bags.

Yakima Valley Hops get all my hop orders.

Ditto that....... I've been ordering from YVH for a long time and their service is great, as are their prices. I stopped by a couple summers ago while traveling.... Nice folks. I walked away with about a pound of free freshly dried experimental hops of various kinds. A couple of young guys building a hops business in the middle of "hop heaven".

H.W.

Lol , I got a recipie from a brew pub that I like , Pfriem beer in Oregon, Mr Pfriem said it’s their most hopped beer , I like it because bitterness is low but the aroma is off the charts . It’s for a 10 gallon batch.

3lb for 10 gallons seems like an awful lot, and I’m a hop head. Might want to double-check that.

3lb for 10 gallons seems like an awful lot, and I’m a hop head. Might want to double-check that.

How would I go abou that? , I’m new to brewing , only have 3 batches under my belt , a kolsch and 20 gallons of Hefeweizen, never made an ipa .

The recipe is a scaled down one , I thought the hops were high , but I don’t really have a baseline to judge that on.

When I was given the recipe I was told to double check it , If I wanted to use about 2 oz in the boil 1.5 oz of each in the whirl pool and 2 dry hop additions how much of each should I use for the dry hop ?

Originally I had it at 13oz of citrus and mosaic in the first dry hop and 13oz of chinook and mosaic in the second dry hop , what would you back that down to ?

Last edited:
I don't know about those beers or 10 gallons, but the most I have ever used in a 5 gallon batch was about 6 ounces total. That was not extremely hoppy so I might go to about 10 ounces total. So that would be about 20, maybe to 30 ounces for a 10 gallon batch. If you used all your 3 pounds of hops it would be about double what I would do.

I recently brewed a 6 gallon Rye IPA for the second time with a .75 oz bittering charge of Magnum and then 3 oz of Mosaic/El Dorado mix at flameout and another 3 oz dry hop. The competition results were all positive saying overall a great tasting beer, just not enough hops for the style. I intend to brew again adding at least an additional oz at flameout and in the dry hop. So for 6 gallons, that is about 7-9 oz total of hops. May be on the light side for an IPA and maybe I need to up it a bit further but the beer came out really nice.

Perhaps a better idea might be to mention one or two well-known commercial beers that are similar to the effect you're looking for, then it might be easier to give you rough guidance - and if you post the recipe here people will be able to comment. But "bitterness is low but the aroma is off the charts" sounds like this is a New England-style IPA, which is one of the most technically demanding styles (whereas it's pretty easy to make an OK Hefeweizen - but also hard to make a GREAT one). That's why the NEIPA threads here run to 1000's of posts. Even by NEIPA standards, 24oz hops in 5 gallons is a lot - people are making really tasty ones with 10-16oz.

I don't want to put you off, just pointing out that this brew is rather more demanding than anything you've attempted to date. There's nothing sacred about a 10g brewlength, I'd start thinking of this as 2x5gal. For one thing, this is a style that benefits from being fresh, and 2 batches will always mean fresher beer in your glass than 1 batch (assuminng you have a 5gal fermenter, there's a danger of oxidation with 5gal in a 10gal fermenter). And your second batch will just be better, because you will have learnt lessons from the first batch. I've found that I've gone smaller and smaller in my batch size, this year I'll be splitting 3-4 gallon batches into 1 gallon buckets because I'm always playing with different yeasts and hops and temperature schedules, and big brewlengths mean I brew fewer batches. I like brewing, so smaller batches mean I have more fun - and I get to try a whole load of things for myself rather than relying on what strangers write on the internet.

Oh, and water chemistry, it's more important for NEIPAs than most styles.

Perhaps a better idea might be to mention one or two well-known commercial beers that are similar to the effect you're looking for, then it might be easier to give you rough guidance - and if you post the recipe here people will be able to comment. But "bitterness is low but the aroma is off the charts" sounds like this is a New England-style IPA, which is one of the most technically demanding styles (whereas it's pretty easy to make an OK Hefeweizen - but also hard to make a GREAT one). That's why the NEIPA threads here run to 1000's of posts. Even by NEIPA standards, 24oz hops in 5 gallons is a lot - people are making really tasty ones with 10-16oz.

I don't want to put you off, just pointing out that this brew is rather more demanding than anything you've attempted to date. There's nothing sacred about a 10g brewlength, I'd start thinking of this as 2x5gal. For one thing, this is a style that benefits from being fresh, and 2 batches will always mean fresher beer in your glass than 1 batch (assuminng you have a 5gal fermenter, there's a danger of oxidation with 5gal in a 10gal fermenter). And your second batch will just be better, because you will have learnt lessons from the first batch. I've found that I've gone smaller and smaller in my batch size, this year I'll be splitting 3-4 gallon batches into 1 gallon buckets because I'm always playing with different yeasts and hops and temperature schedules, and big brewlengths mean I brew fewer batches. I like brewing, so smaller batches mean I have more fun - and I get to try a whole load of things for myself rather than relying on what strangers write on the internet.

Oh, and water chemistry, it's more important for NEIPAs than most styles.

It is a neipa , here is the recipe I was given , I plan on splitting the batch into 2, 5 gallon carboys and I’ve got a friend I brew with that is taking half , here’s the recipe without poundage for grain bill , just percentage.

Phrim ipa

98.5 rahr 2 row

.6 Simpson cara malt

.6 Simpson’s crystal lite

.6 crystal dark

Chinook in boil

.15 oz 70 min

40 min .3 oz

10 min 1.2 oz

Whirl pool 1.5 oz each

Chinook

Citra

Mosaic

Dry hop
13oz each

Citra

Mosaic

2nd dry hop

Mosaic

Chinook

Edit: Just saw your recipe post. Looks like their NE IPA is 7.7%.

Original Comment: What grain bill are you using? The most hoppy beer on their site is a Double IPA @ 90IBU. I would imagine that 4oz Chinook @ 60 and 2oz of each Mosaic/Citra/Chinook in the flameout or whirlpool would get the numbers close. (Need grain bill to confirm) Then 2oz of each @ first dry hop and 1oz of each at second dry hop. Also, they have Nelson and Equinox on their hop list.

Here is what I see you doing, but its not typical of the NE style:

• 30 LB 2-Row
  • .6 LB Caramalt
  • .6 LB Crystal 120L
  • 2oz Chinook @60
  • 4oz each Mosaic/Citra/Chinook @ whirlpool
  • 3oz each Mosaic/Citra @ first dry hop
  • 3oz each Mosaic Citra @ second dry hop
ABV: 7.72
IBU: Who Knows!?!?
SRM: 8

Last edited:
Just added the recipe, I don’t think it’s their most bitter beer , but their most dry hopped beer

Did you end up brewing this? The grain bill you listed looks more like their IPA recipe than their Hazy IPA, minus the Warrior hops. Did the owner tell you the recipe in person or email you? Off the bat, I would've thought that that 13 oz dry hop additions should be 1.3 oz.

Latest posts

Back