Changing hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankbo25

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an IPA (extract kit) soon and was wondering what changing when and which hops go in what do to bitterness or flavor? It uses Centennial hops only in 4 additions(2 of one amount and 2 of a larger amount).

The earlier additions such as 60 mins. will be mostly for bittering. Additions closer to the end of the boil with about 15 or 20 minutes left will be more for flavoring hops. Additions at the end and during flameout will add mostly aroma. Not sure if you were thinking about changing the hop additions, but I would brew it as is. The hops are added at specific times and amounts in the kits for a reason.

Does the kit not have directions? While more often then not kit directions aren't great the schedule for hop additions is usually straight forward.

This is what I do in a red hop bomb I brew.... first wort hop (FWH) for your bittering/60 or 90 minute hops. If you're doing a 60 minute boil put the 2nd amount in at 20 minutes, if 90 minutes then drop at 35 minutes, then do a hop stand with the rest. Cut the heat and let the wort cool down to 190-180 degrees and then drop them in. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes and then cool as you normally would.
I do this and get a mega hop bomb of a beer. Since you're brewing extract try and get a full volume boil if you can. That will help with the hop utilization. How much centennial hops do you have and what size batch are you brewing?

Im going to follow the directions, I was just using this kit as an example. I just wondered what adding at different times or amounts would do. I want to one day go into developing my own recipes but will stick to established ones until I learn more.

Im going to follow the directions, I was just using this kit as an example. I just wondered what adding at different times or amounts would do. I want to one day go into developing my own recipes but will stick to established ones until I learn more.

You are wise to stick to the recipe for the time being. One thing you might want to do is do some reading on the various hops that are available (there are a ton of different varieties). Take some time to learn (or make a chart) of the various hops and their alpha acid levels (perceived bitterness) along with which ones can be substituted for each other. It will take some reading and note taking, but you will begin to get a handle on which hops varieties are better suited for each particular addition.

As an example: Cascade is an extremely common dual purpose hop variety and it blends well with Mt. Hood and Willamette for finishing. A little study will teach you that Galena, Nuggett and Magnum have a lot of the same charactaristics as Cascade but will lend a lot more bitterness. So, once you have a Cascade bittered recipe you like, try a half ounce of Magnum, Nugget or Galena instead of the ounce of Cascade for bittering. The beer will bite quite a bit harder than the Cascade version, but it will still taste pretty good...more like an IPA. Or try subbing the Willamette for aroma with some Mt. Hood, Cascade or Liberty. Your nose and tongue will tell you there is a noticeable difference and your palette will tell you which you prefer.

A lot of this is subjective, but with some reading and some experimentation you'll start to get a handle on it. Be patient though. This aspect of brewing isn't going to be something that you'll pick up overnight. I think almost all of us are still learning on this topic.

You are wise to stick to the recipe for the time being. One thing you might want to do is do some reading on the various hops that are available (there are a ton of different varieties). Take some time to learn (or make a chart) of the various hops and their alpha acid levels (perceived bitterness) along with which ones can be substituted for each other. It will take some reading and note taking, but you will begin to get a handle on which hops varieties are better suited for each particular addition.

As an example: Cascade is an extremely common dual purpose hop variety and it blends well with Mt. Hood and Willamette for finishing. A little study will teach you that Galena, Nuggett and Magnum have a lot of the same charactaristics as Cascade but will lend a lot more bitterness. So, once you have a Cascade bittered recipe you like, try a half ounce of Magnum, Nugget or Galena instead of the ounce of Cascade for bittering. The beer will bite quite a bit harder than the Cascade version, but it will still taste pretty good...more like an IPA. Or try subbing the Willamette for aroma with some Mt. Hood, Cascade or Liberty. Your nose and tongue will tell you there is a noticeable difference and your palette will tell you which you prefer.

A lot of this is subjective, but with some reading and some experimentation you'll start to get a handle on it. Be patient though. This aspect of brewing isn't going to be something that you'll pick up overnight. I think almost all of us are still learning on this topic.
Awesome thanks!

Back