CFC vs jacket for cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
I have both so it's on me to test before I decide which way to go in my new setup. I'll post results but figured I would ask for opinions first here.

CFC: 3/4" soft copper outer shell, 1/2" stainless inner x 25' long, coiled into about a 30" diameter ring. Works well but I have no real access to inspect or scrub it. Plus it's a pain to drain such a long line. Say 20 in^2 of heat transfer area.

My new (unused thus far) jacketed fermenter has 1800 in^2 of jacketed cooling surface area that blows the CFC away. But the beer side is not mechanically agitated and would only have convective motion. 12" diameter x 16" jacket height at the top of the tank.

Both have the same cooling water supply. Think there is any hope in effective chilling from a boil with the jacket and shelving the CFC? Sanitation would be so much easier. I'm also not worried about cooling water use as it all goes into my pool and is literally only a drop in the bucket, I just want fast and easy chilling.

Back