Centennial vs Chinook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogFan07

Reaction score
I’m brewing 2 recipes one needs 1/2oz of chinook the other needs 1/2oz of centennial. Theses are both light ales (5 gal batches).

Trying to figure out how much of a difference it would make in the beers overall flavor?

For reference the centennial is from the top 25 from this forum. The centennial ale. The other is wolds greatest dad Light from Brooklyn brew shop. Basically a light ale.

If I can just get one to cover both recipes great. If I need to get both I will but didn’t want to deal with extra hops and trying to store it.

Thanks for the help.

Centennial would be fine in place of Chinook, but it would be a different beer, taste-wise. Chinook is way more pine/resin, Centennial is more floral and citrusy.

If you want to substitute one out, first find out what the expected alpha acid percentages are for each and then adjust to compensate up or down for the one you've chosen.

So you're going to use a half of ounce hops for a 5 gallon batch? If that's true, then whatever hops you are using makes absolutely no difference, as most likely this addition would be a classic 60 minutes bitering charge.

But I do prefer Chinook overall. It makes good for bittering, late additions, whirlpool and dry hopping.

I take it this is the bittering addition? 1/2 ounce won't make a whole lot of noticeable difference between the two, but FWIW, I've found Chinook to have a sharper bitterness than just about anything else, which I really like.

Centennial is a great PA/IPA aroma hop.
I haven't used Chinook in this role but there are recipes out there that do.

But if the use here is bittering, it won't matter too much which you pick, but I'd take the one with the higher AA% or you'll come up short on bitterness with only the 0.5 oz.

I prefer floral and citrusy in late and dry hops. Sometime make Biermunchers Centennial Blonde 10 gallon batch , 2 carboys, 1oz centennial in one, 1oz chinook in the other as dry hops. Both will be good and you’ll know which you like better for what. Be sure to send me a 6er of both.

Sorry I wasn't able to post the recipes the first time I asked this question.

Centennial Ale

****5 Gallon Batch****
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

and

WGDL

8 lb American 2-row malt
0.5 lb Victory malt
0.5 lb caramel 10
0.5 lb caramel 20
0.5 oz chinook (60 min)
0.75 oz cascade (I think 2/3 at 60 and 1/3 at 30 min)
1 pkgs Safale S-05

Mash at 152 for 60 min.

It sounds like I'll be okay either way. I'm not a huge bitter/hop guy I like a maltier or balance beer. From the discriptions I like the sound of chinook (spicy, piney) over centennial (grapefruit). But the centennial above gets a lot of praise for how good it is so I wasn't sure.

They're not all that similar. I think you're better off just figuring out a storage solution. How much could possibly be leftover? 1 oz of Centennial and 1.5 oz of Chinook? That fits in the palm of your hand.

They're not all that similar. I think you're better off just figuring out a storage solution. How much could possibly be leftover? 1 oz of Centennial and 1.5 oz of Chinook? That fits in the palm of your hand.

Not much. I’m just ordering enough for 3 different batches and trying to make the most of the order. Since it’ll be a while until I order again. Not the end of the world either way.

I have brewed enough to know how different hops can change the profile of the same beer. Although I’m planning on saving a few and reversing and comparing next go round.

You're adding them essentially as bittering additions, nothing later than 35 minutes, so it's not going to make much odds - you're going to boil off 99% of the flavour contribution other than the alpha acids.

Chinook can definitely come across as pine and grapefruit, Centennial's a bit of a funny one as it seems to have a lot of the same compounds that you find in coriander/cilantro, so the 15% of the population who perceive the latter as soapy also find Centennial soapy, the rest seem to love it.

Back