Carboy Vs bucket issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLMX

Reaction score
New first timer.
Started 2 one gallon batches of mead. 1 in a one gallon glass carboy, one in a gallon and a half bucket.
Bucket started 5 days ago, carboy started four days ago.
EC 1118 yeast in both. The only difference is glass carboy vs bucket and Texas honey vs brew-shop honey. Texas honey in carboy, brew shop honey in bucket. Carboy is at about one bubble per second in airlock, bucket is at zero bubbles in 5 days.

Ideas?

If you have a hydrometer on hand, take a reading and see if the gravity had changed since you pitched the yeast.

If you can’t do that then maybe check the lid of the bucket, it might not be fully sealed. This is the entire reason I don’t like fermenting in small buckets. Just a personal preference. Plastic is also oxygen permeable compared to glass which is not.

A lot of buckets have poor seals. I mostly use buckets for either secondary fermentation or as tertiary once fermentation is complete to add frozen fruit for <5 days or so. The large openings are great for fruit additions however are also not airtight.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will pop the top of the bucket when I get home tonight and see if there is any activity.
I do have a hydrometer so I will check the gravity also.

Tonight I checked the bucket and there was activity. Checking the gravity was confusing as it went up. SG was 1.11 tonight it was 1.2.
Racked it into a glass carboy and it’s already bubbling steady in the airlock.

Confused by the hydrometer readings but we’ll see what happens.

Tonight I checked the bucket and there was activity. Checking the gravity was confusing as it went up. SG was 1.11 tonight it was 1.2.

CO2 from fermentation can cause the hydrometer to float higher than it would if the beer were de-gassed prior to checking the gravity. Try pouring your test sample through a folded paper towel to help de-gas it.

How did you mix the honey in? If you just stirred by hand you might not have fully mixed in for the first measurement.

How much honey was in each batch?

How did you mix the honey in? If you just stirred by hand you might not have fully mixed in for the first measurement.

How much honey was in each batch?

3lbs honey in each. Mixed by shaking like crazy in a carboy then poured into bucket.

Certainly not a problem today. Until it overflows that is!
IMG_0511.jpg

Thanks everyone for your support on this! I’m super new and your advice has been much appreciated!
I have 2 carboys in my living room so I can watch them. Which as you know is like watching grass grow.
No doubt I will have more questions before they are ready to drink.
Starting a third 1 gal batch tomorrow ;)

As it turns out it’s way better than watching grass grow! It bubbled over into the airlock!
Took a gravity reading this evening and were at 1.02! (Been 6 days with OG of 1.11)
Small taste on my finger was sweet :)
Still activity so we’ll let her go some more.

If your SWMBO likes wine, buy some of those Carlo Rossi 4L wine jugs. Drink up and then you have a glass jug that’s slightly more than 1 gal. If you’re ever concerned with headspace in a 1 gal batch.

Hope these batches turn out well for you!

Edit: misspelling

Latest posts

Back