Can you help me save my bad beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acroporabrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a blond a while back and it really didn't turn out too good IMO. I mostly brew pale ales so I used a pale ale malt as my base with some other caramelized malt as well. It turned out to be very bland with only Carmel as the flavor. A little too sweet for my taste. I was going to dump it but then my coworker mentioned adding something in the keg. Right now I have about 4 gallons of the brew in a keg. Anybody have any suggestions on how to make this an fall beer?

Grain

American Pale 2-Row

White Wheat

Briess Caramel Vienne Malt 20L

Carapils

Caramel 60L

Galena Pellets

Columbus Pellet Hops

White Labs - German Kolsch

You could just do raspberries or something (5 lbs or so of frozen berries in a mesh bag for 5 days). I sort of loathe spiced beers so I'm not sure how to make it a "fall" beer, but it does sound like a god base for a fruit beer.

I like to idea of the bag of frozen raspberries. How much tart do you think I am going to get from that? I also like the adding a few oz of citra hops to give it a acidity bump. The grain is very close to a pale ale that I do that's solid.

Maybe I should do both?

Peach or apricot juice into the keg. Saved my buddy's brew this weekend. Although, he was seeking to cover over a bit of a brett flavor with some sweetness. But, the tart of the apricot juice was quite good. Works well if you plan on drinking it somewhat quickly.

Thanks for your help with the brew. The beer before I added the raspberries was brewed fine, just super bland. Adding the raspberries has been a great addition. My wife likes it a lot and so did a few guest that stopped by. It is certainly geared for the females but I had a few glasses if it and I liked it much better than I thought.

The only problem is that after a couple of glasses poured per day, the beer lost a lot the raspberry kick. With each glass poured per serving, the about of raspberry varies a bunch. How is the best way to get this raspberry flavor to stay in suspension more? Let it age longer in the kegs and shake the keg often as it conditions? Maybe this is an impossible battle to win.

Here's a pic of the brew about 12 hours after adding the raspberries. A few raspberry chunks are in there that I might try to filter out if i do this again.

Back