Can kviek get TOO hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I’m using omega voss right now. Pitched yesterday into mid 80’s temp wort but due to the cooler temps now I at the suggestion of some here bought a heated seed mat basically a heating pad that I put on the carboy. It’s 71 in my basement but that carboy is nice and warm and completely off the fermometer temp scale so it’s gotta be at least in the 90’s and this thing is chugging like crazy. I’ve only used kviek one other time and that was during the hot summer when I fermented it in my garage and just let it go where the temps were 90 in the garage.

map out of curiosity I pulled a sample and checked the temp and it was 93 deg. Perfect. Smells unbelievable. Like a warm glass of tropical oj.

Last edited:
I have very limited experience, have only used hornindal once, but I'd say yes it can get to hot. My batch got over 100F and soured. It was disgusting. Tasted like vomit with tropical fruit hops in it. That batch was my first dumper.

Admittedly there could have been a contamination issue, though my sanitation was the same as always.

I have very limited experience, have only used hornindal once, but I'd say yes it can get to hot. My batch got over 100F and soured. It was disgusting. Tasted like vomit with tropical fruit hops in it. That batch was my first dumper.

Admittedly there could have been a contamination issue, though my sanitation was the same as always.

I edited my original post with an update.Gonna keep the Heating pad on and let her ride out. Prob be done in 3 days if not sooner.

Last edited:
Does you heating pad have hi/med/lo? try setting it to a lower setting?
No when it’s on it stays on. They the seed heating pads get like 10-20deg hotter than ambient which works since the kviek is in the 90 deg range now From my pulled sample. I have towels around it too so I opened those up just to let a little more heat dissipate.

I pitched hornindal at about 110 in a summer brew session - beer came out clean.

I wouldn’t do it again though now that I more about Kveik

Latest posts

Back