Can I Submit an Aged Cider to BJCP Competiton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1776

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A quick question the Alamo City Cerveza Fest is having a competition with all the BJCP styles accepted. I am wanting to submit a Blueberry Cider I made a few years ago, but can't find anywhere wether something that has aged that long is acceptable or if it's "cheating." Anybody know? I procrastinated and it's due today.

Thanks,
Matt

Hey guys,
A quick question the Alamo City Cerveza Fest is having a competition with all the BJCP styles accepted. I am wanting to submit a Blueberry Cider I made a few years ago, but can't find anywhere wether something that has aged that long is acceptable or if it's "cheating." Anybody know? I procrastinated that it's due today.

Thanks,
Matt

If they are accepting cider entries in the 28B category (probably the only category this would fit in) you can enter it. Age isn't even considered, and in fact usually improves many wines and ciders.

Here's the 28B guidelines:
28B. Fruit Cider

This is a cider with other fruits or fruit-juices added - for example, berry. Note that a “cider” made from a combination of apple and pear juice would be entered in this category since it is neither cider nor perry.

Aroma/Flavor: The cider character must be present and must fit with the other fruits. It is a fault if the adjuncts completely dominate; a judge might ask, “Would this be different if neutral spirits replaced the cider?” A fruit cider should not be like an alco-pop. Oxidation is a fault.

Appearance: Clear to brilliant. Color appropriate to added fruit, but should not show oxidation characteristics. (For example, berries should give red-to-purple color, not orange.)

Mouthfeel: Substantial. May be significantly tannic depending on fruit added.

Overall Impression: Like a dry wine with complex flavors. The apple character must marry with the added fruit so that neither dominates the other.

Comments: Entrants MUST specify carbonation level (still, petillant, or sparkling). Entrants MUST specify sweetness (dry or medium). Entrants MUST specify what fruit(s) and/or fruit juice(s) were added.

Yooper,
Yes, it's 28B. Thanks for the clarification on aging.
Matt

Latest posts

Back