can I dryhop after carbing in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
hey gang,

Made a bitter blond about a month ago:

Captain Greencoat's Bitter Blonde

4.5 lb 2-Row
2.7 lb Maris Otter
1 lb CaraPils

Mash @ 152*F for 75 min
Mash in w/ 3.1 gal @ 163*F, rest for 75 min.
Sparge w/ 4.6 gal @ 176*F.

BOIL TIME!

60 minute boil

0.5 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 20 min
2 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 15 min
Irish Moss @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial (11.6% aa) @ 10 min
1 oz Centennial (11.6% aa) @ 5 min

Ferment at 65*F for 3 weeks, no secondary needed.

Followed all the instructions (biab) and kegged last week. Now I know it's a "bitter" blonde but its pretty bitter and lacking a bit in hop aroma/flavor for what I was going for.

My question....can I dry-hop in the keg after its been carbed? Put the keg on 30psi for 24hrs, 10-12 psi for the last 48hrs, so it's pouring really well. I thought about dryhopping with a couple of ounces of warrior or more cascade but I'll skip it if there's negative consequences I don't know about.

If I can dryhop in the keg while carbed, can I start drinking it the following day?

any help is greatly appreciated!

My question....can I dry-hop in the keg after its been carbed? Put the keg on 30psi for 24hrs, 10-12 psi for the last 48hrs, so it's pouring really well. I thought about dryhopping with a couple of ounces of warrior or more cascade but I'll skip it if there's negative consequences I don't know about.

If I can dryhop in the keg while carbed, can I start drinking it the following day?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes and some people like to use these.....http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/stainless-hop-steeper.html

or these for more dry hops ........http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FCMCMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna use a hop bag with some sanitized marbles to have it sink to the bottom of the keg. If I purge the keg, add the hopbag, reseal, and pressurize to 10-12psi would the beer be as carbed as it was before I purged the CO2? Do I have to wait another few days before pouring a pint or can I continue drinking it and trying to appreciate it before the added hops change the profile?

Sorry, first time kegging & I'm still learning the ins & outs...

I was gonna use a hop bag with some sanitized marbles to have it sink to the bottom of the keg. If I purge the keg, add the hopbag, reseal, and pressurize to 10-12psi would the beer be as carbed as it was before I purged the CO2? Do I have to wait another few days before pouring a pint or can I continue drinking it and trying to appreciate it before the added hops change the profile?

Sorry, first time kegging & I'm still learning the ins & outs...

It takes days if not weeks for beer in the keg to go flat once already carbonated. If you purge the keg, open the lid, put the hops in, seal the lid, and reset the regulator to 10-12 psi you will be fine. Once your beer is carbonated, which it sounds like it is, you only need enough Co2 for serving. When my beer is carbonated the way I like it I reduce the pressure to 8-12 psi for serving. My kegs only last about a month so I never had a beer go flat. Temperature of the beer also plays a role in CO2 levels vs. carbonation. Heres a good table I use for carbonating my beer....http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Since your keg is already sealed and beer is carbonated I suggest one method to reseal your keg after putting in the hops. Put the lid on loosely (do not clamp down) and raise the psi to 20psi. The lid will seal at 20psi without clamping down. Then clamp down the lid, purge the keg, and reset to 10-12 psi for serving, check for leaks using starsan in a spray bottle. This will ensure your lid is sealed and you won't have any leaks.

dry hopping after the keg is carbonated is no big deal. I do it all the time when I have a beer that doesn't have the hop aroma or flavor I want or has lost the flavor/aroma it originally had. just open keg, drop hops in paint strainer bag tied with a knot in and reseal. However, after you add the hops, it can take a few days before the aroma/flavor mellows enough to drink the beer again. In additon, the first glass or two will be very cloudy with hops and virtually undrinkable.

Thanks gang. I thought I had more hops on hand than I do so it's just gonna be 1oz of centennial in the 5g (its at 36F) (I have some hallertau, polaris, & punnett blend from AHS too). I realize that it'll take awhile & that 1oz isn't much at all but I'm having guests over for football tomorrow & we'll be drinking it. Just hoping that by next week's time whatever's left of the keg will be better than it is today.

an oz of centennial is perfect amount for a blonde. I do it often, you will be happy with the keg hopping, it works well.

One thing, if you're using pellets and that keg is full I'd put a towel under it and be ready with the lid. The pellets create a bunch of nucleation sites and it may foam like an SOB. Not sure if the same happens with whole hops.

I'd read about the foaming (yes, pellets). Gonna keep my fingers crossed and work quickly...

Thanks for the help gang, it's really appreciated!

Back