can i aerate 12 hours after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfecxion

Reaction score
i made a 1085 scotch ale last night, things didnt go as well as i hoped with my new wort chiller, and i simply forgot to aerate before pitching two packs of unrehydrated nottingham yeast on 80ish degree wort. its been probably 14 or 15 hours since i pitched. ususally when i aerate i just dump the wort between two buckets. is it too late to do this?

just opened it, theres a decent krausen already on top, no air lock activity yet. is there nothing i can really do at this point

You don't necessarily need to aerate dry yeast.

from Danstar's website FAQ
I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

I would definitely aerate it. 1.085 is a pretty big beer. It can be useful to add a second oxygenation at around 12-18 hours after your pitch for high gravity brews, or so I have read. I might have the timing off a tad. A pre pitch oxygenation could also be useful. I've previously added a few drops of olive oil when I have forgotten to oxygenate and it had been over (just) 24 hours.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back