Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndrwtcm

Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of designing my new two tier brewing stand with a buddy of mine. We're looking at various burners and wondering if anyone has pros/cons for the following two types:

banjo:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

wok:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KPUZOO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Now, I understand that the wok burner has a lower btu output than the banjo burner but we're looking to brew 10 gal batches and both of them should have ample output for that, at least from what I've read. I'm wondering if the wok burner will both be more even and be easier to light as the jets all point towards one another.

Any input or help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention fuel type, and that can be important to decide between these two style burners.

On "high pressure" propane (which I guess is anything above 11" WC or .4 psi) a 23 tip jet could be noisy overkill for 10 gallon batches. It's not uncommon for folks to remove up to half the jets and plug the holes to dial them down.

Meanwhile there are a lot of 10 gallon rigs running the bg-14 banjo burners on high pressure propane. I use them on my system, the heat pattern can't be beat and they have excellent usable range while maintaining that pattern.

On the other hand...if you're going to run your burners on natural gas, the multi-tip jet might be the better choice. While the bg-14 can be run on NG, its performance is uninspiring without forced-induction.

You can get jets with orifices sized for NG (indeed, if you're going that route, be sure to buy a burner that's already jetted for NG because otherwise you're looking at buying 23 new jets!).

As for lighting, with a manual spark ignition the banjos simply light up on demand with or without a kettle above. I don't have first-hand experience with jets but I expect one can light them without a lot of drama with a bit of applied common sense...

Cheers!

Cant go wrong with the banjo. I regularly brew 15G batches (17.5G for leaving trub and such) and use Blichmann Floor Burners. Easily boils the ~22G boil volume vigorously!

Back